Audiolab set-up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Patrick Neylan, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Patrick Neylan

Patrick Neylan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've inherited some 20-year old Audiolab units:
    8000C Pre-Amp
    8000CDM CD Player
    8000DAC Converter
    8000P Power Amp
    I've set them up with a reconditioned Pink Triangle LPT1. OK, the CD player door doesn't open – never mind; probably a simple fix for later – with the CDM feeding into the DAC, then the DAC and the LPT1 wired into the Pre-Amp (C), which then wires into the Power Amp (P). The LPT1 plugs into the MC sockets on the Pre-Amp.

And the sound is pure mud (and I don't mean the 70s band). Even with the bass turned to minimum and the treble on max, it's barely listenable.

I don't pretend to any expertise. So, what novice error have I made?

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +638
    I'd take a photo of your connections and also check that you haven't wired the speakers out of phase by retracing your speaker cable connections (positives/negative connections - Amp and Speakers). If the speakers have binding post's for high and low frequencies, ensure that the links are placed in correctly. You may find that the tweeter part is not connected properly giving what could be described as a muddy sound

3. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Do you have another source you can try. If you use an ipad/phone you can get a cheap cable, couple of pounds from amazon (3.5mm to stereo rca, plug it into any other line level inputs) to see if it is the turntable or the amp given your cd does not work to test it with.

As @ShanePJ says, speakers should be connected red to red and black to black and if they have two sets of terminals on the speakers these should have a bar going between the red terminals and another between the blacks. What speakers are they by the way ?

also, what cartridge does the PT have, most cartridges are mm and therefore should be in the mm sockets with the red button selecting the mm inputs. Also make sure you have the PT ground lead connected to the ground on the preamp.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. 3rdignis

3rdignis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Patrick I am not familiar with your exact setup but your description is familiar to me.

I bought a chord mojo, to use as a dac and preamp with my 20 yr old audiolab 8000s, realising I was originally listening to a muddy/underwater sound.

Later the power amp section was upgraded to audiolab 8300mb but this did not improve things as much as chord.