1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab Pre/Power with Yamaha DSP? ADVICE PLEASE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by davidmbell, Jan 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Leeds/Bradford (depends which side of the road I'm
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi there, I currently run an Audiolab 8000A / 8000PX pre/power combination for my hi fi. As I want to keep the good hi-fi 2 channel stereo I added a processor.

I have a Yamaha DSP-E390 ProLogic processor that I use with this to produce the surround sound output for the rear and centre channels (with its own amp) and then the output to the Audiolabs for the front speakers.

I want to upgrage the Yamaha to achieve DTS/6.1 etc etc.

I am not sure how to go about this, do I got for a Yamaha DSP-E800 (which is a little old now but would be a direct replacement) or could I go for A.N. Other Yamaha amp (say with prologic II) that has FRONT PRE OUT.

Would the Front Pre Out on a 'normal' AV amp give the right signal for my Audiolabs?

The current DSPE-390 adjusts the level sent to the Audiolabs so when watching a film I set the volume to half on the Audiolabs and leave them there and then the Yamaha controls the overall volume with its own Up/Down volume knob.

Will a normal AV amp do this too or does the Output from the Front Out Phono not adjust up n down with the volume as it would with a processor?

Sorry if this sounds complicated.. hope it makes sense.......

Any advice very much appreciated!

David

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes

Yes

Can't comment on the Yam stuff but any processor with front L/R pre-outs will do the job.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree, there will be no difference between the dated DSP-E800 (DPL and DD/DTS 5.1 only) and a 'normal' AV amp or AV receiver with front pre-outs, so hooking it up and controlling the volume should not be a problem.
    In case of a normal AV amp/receiver the front amplification will just remain idle.

4. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Can anyone recommend a cheap amp with Front Pre Outs?

Been looking at Yamaha website etc.

Not fussed about very latest spec, but 6/12months old is ok (DPLII would be nice).

IT needs to be BLACK too - Not Silver..

Thanks guys

David

5. steveTHX

steveTHX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you can go for Yamaha RX-v 630 or 640, which has pre out for all channels, and are a pretty good choice for its money. If you go to lower models you will loose a lot of audio quality. Good luck

6. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I ended up getting a DSP-E800 from Ebay 2nd hand for £175.

Thought I'd bagged a bargain from Hyperfi as they had an ex demo one for £169, but they'd sold it by the time I rang them.

Guess if I get really hooked by stereo in the rear I could sell this DSP-E800 on in a few months and then get a 630/640 (plus they will have come down in price by then.

Thanks guys!

David
    ps what's a really good film to test DTS/5.1
    pps my Pioneer DVD player only has phono out/scarts will the right signal be going to the amp? Does it need 5.1 outputs to work?