Audiolab M-DAC Mini Review & Comments

Nice review.

Am I right in my understanding that the RCA outputs are volume controlled so this could in fact be used as a preamp to drive active speakers

Nice review.

Am I right in my understanding that the RCA outputs are volume controlled so this could in fact be used as a preamp to drive active speakers

I was wondering the exact same thing. Do you know the answer? I guess an email to audiolab will provide one, which I have just sent via the contact form on their website. I haven't seen anything in any of the product info online to suggest that the RCA outputs are pre-outs. I would imagine it's going to be like a regular line-level source (i.e. a CD player). Let's see what audiolab have to say about it...

Last edited:
Not sure if you already acquired an M-DAC Mini muljao? But I thought I'd post here anyway, I just acquired one myself but not arrived with me yet.

I'm still a little bit confused as it seems if you connect to an integrated amp or powered speakers, and you have no way of bypassing the onboard preamp on your integrated amp or your powered speakers, then are you 'doubling up' on the preamp sound???

What happens if you connect to an external integrated amp or powered speakers and you leave the volume control at minimum on the M-DAC Mini? No sound from the external amp/speakers?

I asked the question:
Do the RCA outputs behave just like a regular line-level source? (i.e. like a CD Player) or is it passing a pre-amp signal? As well as using as a headphone amp, I would also like to connect it via the RCA outputs to powered speakers.

Answer from audiolab:
You can connect the Left/Right outputs from the MDAC Mini to Active speakers. The RCA output levels are Preamplifier outputs and will drive an Amplifier.

Last edited:
Not sure if you already acquired an M-DAC Mini muljao? But I thought I'd post here anyway, I just acquired one myself but not arrived with me yet.

I'm still a little bit confused as it seems if you connect to an integrated amp or powered speakers, and you have no way of bypassing the onboard preamp on your integrated amp or your powered speakers, then are you 'doubling up' on the preamp sound???

What happens if you connect to an external integrated amp or powered speakers and you leave the volume control at minimum on the M-DAC Mini? No sound from the external amp/speakers?

I asked the question:
Do the RCA outputs behave just like a regular line-level source? (i.e. like a CD Player) or is it passing a pre-amp signal? As well as using as a headphone amp, I would also like to connect it via the RCA outputs to powered speakers.

Answer from audiolab:
You can connect the Left/Right outputs from the MDAC Mini to Active speakers. The RCA output levels are Preamplifier outputs and will drive an Amplifier.
I didn't get one afterwards. From the answer it seems it's a preamp function, you'd likely just set it to full on an integrated amp and allow the amp to amplify the line level output likely 2v that full volume on the dac gives. Thanks for info

Does anyone know if the M-Dac mini supports Bluetooth AAC? I only see mention of AptX

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom