1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab coming to a shelf near you?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by AnilS, May 26, 2005.

1. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  2. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yeah, but its stereo! What about us in the West and the year 2005??

Excuse me for yawning but many of us had this type of kit last century. It was damn good but that was then!

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edward, it is not only stereo, 8000AV is AV30R and 700x7 is what it was before.

I also got a hint it might be very interesting to read specs of pre-pro. No clue what it was supposed to mean, guess we'll know it soon enough ....

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, and we'll still have it next century, unlike that multi-channel muck :rolleyes:

DT

5. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Interesting to hear about the Av stuff, Plump. I didn’t see any evidence at HiFiBitiz and assumed it was still not on the menu. I hope they do well with the AV8000 and that encourages them to put more effort into adopting AV32R DP and AV192R technology – something with that kind of connectivity, expandability, performance and ability to run that last version of the TMA software and maybe even later stuff. Oh no, there I go… dreaming again.

DT, you’re could be right about two channel stuff skipping a century but I’m not expecting to be there to confirm your theory.

6. JohnDee68

JohnDee68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This link

http://www.iaguk.com/tma/

Confirms Autumn to be the launch time, could not see any mention of source equipment at the above or on the page AnilS lists, but I'm sure that CD & DVD players will be included in the launch range.

It would be interesting to see if Audiolab provide upgrades to TMA Equipment the same way that Tag offered upgrades for owners of previous Audiolab Equipment.

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AV30R was naff when released and still naff as an Audiolab.

If it really is an AV30R, it is woefully out of date.

And that silver looks ick...

Apologies to any IAG staff who've worked hard on it all, but heck, a man is allowed an opinion

8. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    roversd1,

No mincing your words eh? Ha! Ha! Ha! So you think Tag was wrong to release the AV30R? Out of interest, did you ever get many helpdesk calls complaining about the AV30R? I don't remember ever hearing an AV30R so can't really comment on how it sounds compared to the AV32R series.

I suppose crap is relative in this context, right? Even the AV30R/Audiolab 8000AV incarnation is gonna be better than Arcam or Marantz/etc?

9. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Why go for the AV30R.. why not a fully decked out Av32r BP 192 with DAB for example ?

I do not think the 8000AV is going to look that great against the Arcam AVP700 for example !

Matt

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not so sure about some of that....the AV30R was certainly aimed at a perceived market below the AV32R,but was cut back to meet that price also...it's sound quality compared to an AV32R I found to be just less of everything,if that makes sense...less dynamic,less detail etc.

As to being better than a modern Arcam of comparable price,I do think that a lot has changed in relatively few years,and it may well be a close run thing at that price point.

The AV32R is a different thing altogether,and still sounds as good as most of the opposition,and more so in the case of the DP version,which I've found to be much better than the SP.

My own opinion of the AV30R was that it just didnt meet any sort of market....it didnt appeal to likely buyers of the AV32R who didnt want to pay as much,and was too pricey for the market below.
    Certainly it had nothing that convinced me to shell out for one,and the decision to go for an AV32R was well worth it.

I also have to agree with roversd1's comments re the Audiolab range....just doesnt look right in that silver finish,and it will be out of date if it has what the AV30R had.

11. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You hit the nail on the head just about.

Regarding complaints about the AV30R - Hiss. The dacs used for the surround had a higher signal to noise ratio that generated very audiable hiss for the surround/ centre channels.

The stereo dacs were the original AV32R versions, so, in buying an AV30, you were buying an old AV32R with even less on it....

I didnt get it either

12. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It had little to do with the DAC's used for those channels but rather the fixed and rather high output gain on those channels that pushed the noise floor up. The gain is required for various possible headrooms in the system to avoid clipping in the digital domain. In the AV32R all channels had variable headroom compensation so it only allocated the gain when it needed it... which in reallity is only in a few configs. There is a thread on this forum that talks about using external attenuators to get rid of the hiss on the surround channels.

As for Audiolabing it it all depends on the price, if it's cheap enough and full loaded then it becomes competitive again! TAG wasn't set up for doing cheap, IAG are.

13. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sit corrected (remember, the Helpdesk was the 'political spin' centre for TMA, hence we put out what we were told to put out), but still, considering the price of the AV30R, it was a bit of hiss-up.

Certainly, if the AV80000000000 is sold at a decent price,who knows......?

14. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think original plan was to set processor RRP to 1k and amp for 1,3-1,5k
    However, all of you who know how prices are formed will know that sometimes they tend to jump up at the last moment...
    So, wait and see, for price, specs and more...

15. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Pricing isn't bad as long as this stuff performs well and is reliable.

I thought the AV32R DP should have been priced in the GBP 2.5 - 3.0K bracket and that the 5*100 at about GBP 2.0 (given that my Bryston was only £1.8K with less than a month on the clock and came with a 20 year warranty).

Agreeing with IAG... I've definitely lost it.

16. iwf

iwf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I spoke with IAG today, asking some questions about upgrade paths.

I weas told the AV gear is likely to be rebadged, but perhaps more importantly the prices will be dropped 'significantly' . Sadly the price of upgrades won't be.

So expect lots of new visitors to this forum

17. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I did hear that there was going to be "significant" price reductions, to Audiolab "back into the game" and appear on buyers radar.

Take this with a pinch of salt but the;

8000Q Preamp = £1000
    8000M Monoblocs = £400 each :eek:
    8000CD = £500 - £800

Does anyone know what their rrp was prior to TAG taking over?

This information was from a retailer who may be stocking Audiolab in Birmingham.

Regards, AnilS.

18. JohnDee68

JohnDee68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
  20. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The same price in one sense,but once inflation etc has been taken into account,it could be viewed as a price drop...assuming that the internals have been upgraded in the intervening 10 years.

21. JohnDee68

JohnDee68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Given that IAG effectively owns all of that,and the TAG Mclaren brand name has reverted to it's original owners,this simply amounts to badge engineering.

What's really important is that IAG continue to provide service for TAG equipment,and also to expand and improve their current products.

23. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I wonder how S/H values of Audiolabs and Tags will be affected by Audiolab's return?

I suspect it could go two ways, dependant on new prices. If they are priced competitively (eering on the "cheaper" side), S/H prices of Audiolab stuff will plummet. If priced further up, S/H prices could "hold".

Any thoughts?

AnilS.

24. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it will reach an equalibrium -TMA sold off Audiolab units way too cheap in 1997, prices crept back up to healthy level.

The CD player/ transports will be trickier to follow as the mechs for the early ones are unavailable.

The same will probably happen again - new people will buy the silver stuff, while us cinycs will stick with what we know and trust.

Regardless of the TMA/ Quad/ Audiolab/ Wharfedale/ Wharfedale Pro badges, it will all be made in good 'ole China.

25. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incidently, I have an official Audiolab Price list for September 1997 (I'm sorry but your prices are way off, AnilS) - I will try and post the complete list sometime

26. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I suspected they were a bit off, so am glad someone can correct them.

You are right, trust in black. :thumbsup:

27. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will new or re-badged Audiolab products include Tagtronic control?

28. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Rob.
    I asked that question specifically and the reply was along the lines of "we bought the technology and are not about to throw it out", so I'd expect that new IAG branded TAG stuff will connect to our existing TAG kit via TAGTronic bus and continue to be controlled by it. As I've said before I'd wager that a new DVD player and amps might be on the cards first around the end of the year/1st quarter 2006. Re-manufacturing the AV192R/AV32RDP might not be quite as easy so I'm not sure what will be launched on the processor front but its obvious something will be as the AV30 clone won't satisfy the market we bought into....And the Denon's/Pioneer's of this world hopelessly outclass that one these days..... The AV192R/AV32RDP would only need minor additions to keep them at the very top of the pile but naturally the high end market is rather smaller than the market the standard Denon/Pioneer ranges fall into....

29. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Graham,

You jest, surely! You cannot be seriously contemplating doing business with IAG!

Are they the kind of people who will innovate so that your kit will not only avoid obsolescence but stay within sight of the leading edge? Are you looking for a company that really knows it business when it comes to audio engineering? Are you looking for one that is switched on to current marketing strategies and technology? Are you looking for a company that has a genuine customer service ethos?

If the answer to these questions is No, then why did you spend that extra money buying into the TMA vision? If the answer is yes, then look again at this company. If their track record is any way of assessing the future IAG, you aren’t going to get from them, sorry.

For my part, I just hope my kit never breaks down so that I have to give them a so much as a single honest penny.

30. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    edward...we all own or use TAG gear here,and we all appreciate the current helpdesk problems etc.

Your views on this are quite clear,but nonetheless,we all still have to rely on IAG for service and repairs.