Audiolab 8200MB Failures

bruno1000

Novice Member
Is anyone aware of a design issue with the Audiolab 8200MB (Monoblocks pair)? The first unit failed a few months ago in spectacular fashion, filling the room with smoke before I had chance to pull the plug. This left several resistors and small transistors burnt to a crisp on the main amplifier board along with 2 output stage devices which had also failed.

This week the other unit failed in almost the same fashion. The same components seem to be charred. The only difference was that this time I wasn’t so lucky and it took out the bass driver on my Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE! An expensive weekend to say the least!

I’ve only just had the first unit repaired and I’m cautious of using them with decent speakers without some DC protection in place.

Anyone else had any issues or am I just unlucky? They seem to have a fairly good reputation as far as I can see?

Eagle 123

Have you had a surge protector fitted also you don't say if the amp has been placed in well ventilated space
I might think it could be your speakers as they would have sent a low current feedback to the amp and damaged it this happened to mine when the bass driver crossover were faulty and blew my amp up

bruno1000

Novice Member
Yes I had surge protection in place and the units have plenty of ventilation. They don’t exactly get driven hard either.

Interesting point about faulty crossovers but the right channel (first amp to go) loudspeaker survived intact and had been working with my old faithful Meridian 105 while I had the first amp repaired.

I did consider that there could be an issue with this combination of speaker and amp that caused the amp to oscillate. Still doesn’t explain why it worked fine for three years before both failed within a few months of each other. I'm just guessing really.

Thanks for your input.

FatOldSun

Novice Member
Is anyone aware of a design issue with the Audiolab 8200MB (Monoblocks pair)? The first unit failed a few months ago in spectacular fashion, filling the room with smoke before I had chance to pull the plug. This left several resistors and small transistors burnt to a crisp on the main amplifier board along with 2 output stage devices which had also failed.

This week the other unit failed in almost the same fashion. The same components seem to be charred. The only difference was that this time I wasn’t so lucky and it took out the bass driver on my Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE! An expensive weekend to say the least!

I’ve only just had the first unit repaired and I’m cautious of using them with decent speakers without some DC protection in place.

Anyone else had any issues or am I just unlucky? They seem to have a fairly good reputation as far as I can see?
I am getting same problem, send back to Audiolab twice now, heartbroken, they are exploding and makes us jump, i spend so much money on them

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom