Question Audiolab 8200AP processor replacement options

smashyvan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Have the 8200AP with X7 amplifier. The X7 originally drove all my 5.1 setup but now only centre and rears with mains taken care of with Active Linn Kelidhs driven by 3 audiolab 8000M's.

Very happy with it but over the last few months the AP has become increasingly unreliable - the relays inside keep activating and muting the sound.

So replacements -I bought the AP as it was good for 2 ch as well as 5.1. And thats what i want going forward.

What recommendations do people have? Only need the pre / processor functions, all amplification is done externally and dont really want any bells and whistles, but room correction i may be intrested in. Budget up to 2K but could go higher.

What about 4K, can it passthru? I have a 4K tv and planning to upgrade to 4K BD, are todays processors able to do this??
thanks

I would look at the offerings from Arcam & Anthem, rather than the usual D&M, Yammy etc, otherwise you end up adding in feedback destroyers, graphic eq, power amps etc.....

An option would be a mid range AVR to act as a pre-amp for movies (plus you could use it's internal amps to power some additional speakers, such as in ceiling or upfiring for Atmos / DTS:X / Auro 3D) plus a hi fi integrated amplifer with HT bypass which could act as a pre-amp for music.

Your £2k budget should get a nice offering of both. I use a Musical Fidelity M3i for my pre-amp for music, which can be had for around £600, and is excellent in terms of warmth of sound and voice / instrument separation, for double the budget a Yamaha A-S1100 is very highly regarded. Both have HT bypass and pre-outs.

For AVR's, the outgoing Marantz SR7011 can be had for around £900, which is a nice reduction on the £1500 list price, although, there may not be much stock left.

Or, if you would prefer a dedicated processor over an AVR, this one is also on a nice discount as an outgoing model, again stock may be limited:

Marantz AV7703

Both of the Marantz come with Audyssey room correction, and are compatible with the Audyssey app, which allows you to customise how you want the room correction applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, if I had to change my 8000ap, I go on an Outlaw 976 + Minidsp NanoAVR Dirac Live for the correction

The new Nakamichi AV1 (now rebranded IOTAVX 7.1)?

Admittedly the casing isn't anywhere near as nice as the 8200AP and the new model is an unknown quality at the moment. But been very happy with my old model. Although I use a Minidsp unit to handle bass management, delays and room correction, so can't comment on any of those features on the AV1). The height is also a lot slimmer (height wise) than a full height AVR or processor.

As already stated the Marantz 7703 is worth a look. A few members on here have also purchased the Arcam 390 to use as a processor for Dirac.

I’ve owned the 8200ap and loved it, not so much the 8200x7 though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom