Audiolab 8000T ---> TAG T32R DAB ---? Audiolab ?????

Mr_Orange

First we had the Audiolab 8000T, which many felt to be one of the best tuners around. This transmogrified (made up word before anyone asks ;)) into the TAG T32R, and on again into the T32R DAB, which again is generally considered to be the dogs balearics.

So, does anyone else find it odd that Audiolab do not have a tuner in their current product line up?

Surely, with heritage like that, all they had to do was change the casework and knobs on the T32, and lop £1500 off the price and hey presto??

Perhaps they have something in the pipeline, that has DAB+, the "8000T DAB+", for instance??

I read that the Bosch DAB module used in the T32 was software upgradeable to cope with changes to the DAB specification. Does this mean that IAG might release an upgrade to bring DAB+ capabilities to the T32?

All pure speculation on my part, but hey-ho!

Anyone else got some opinions?

t-force

It's a good point. The T32 was an awesome tuner (as was the T20 in its day). I only had the standard non-DAB version, but with the AV32R and the 100x5R, it sounded absolutely beautiful when listening to a good broadcast (Radio 3 particularly springs to mind). It could be that Audiolab are waiting to see whether there is any mileage gained in looking into a DAB plus compatible tuner. Bear in mind that when it was first undergoing test broadcasts (ie the 5 BBC channels only), DAB sounded ridiculously good, but then got progressively worse as the bandwidth got swallowed up by extras. I seem to remember Udo Zucker saying how disappointed he was with the way DAB had turned out back over on the original TAG forum.

Oh, and on a side note, transmogrified is not a word made up by you - I think you'll find that Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes fame built himself a transmogrifier in (I think) "Scientific Progress goes Boink!!" :D:D

Madmartigan

Standard Member
It's too bad that DAB is used so badly (at least in here in The Netherlands). The quality is about as good as a 128k MP3. Knowing this, it would be more interesting for Audiolab to build a good satellite receiver. Satellite radio has infinitely better sound quality than DAB (as it stands now).

Indeed, Calvin built his Transmogrifier in "Scientific Progress goes Boink". :D

Mr_Orange

.... DAB sounded ridiculously good, but then got progressively worse as the bandwidth got swallowed up by extras. I seem to remember Udo Zucker saying how disappointed he was with the way DAB had turned out back over on the original TAG forum.

It's too bad that DAB is used so badly (at least in here in The Netherlands). The quality is about as good as a 128k MP3. Knowing this, it would be more interesting for Audiolab to build a good satellite receiver. Satellite radio has infinitely better sound quality than DAB (as it stands now).

I know what you mean, but here's hoping DAB+ addresses the poor bit rates. Whatever we may hope for, I think DAB, in one form or another, is here to stay.

Oh, and on a side note, transmogrified is not a word made up by you - I think you'll find that Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes fame built himself a transmogrifier in (I think) "Scientific Progress goes Boink!!" :D:D

Indeed, Calvin built his Transmogrifier in "Scientific Progress goes Boink". :D

Wow!! Never seen/read Calvin & Hobbes so didn't realise that was the origin of the word, although I wasn't claiming exclusive rights to having invented it, was just preventing the grammar police from reprimanding me ;).

Kenny Glasgow

I have a bp192 with the DAB unit and it worked and sounded really good until they started adding more channels and dropping the bit rate.

DAB seems to be focused on the portable or kitchen radio sets and it seems that internet or satellite radio is the way to go

Mr_Orange

Just found out from IAG that there is a tuner, the 8000TE.

The "E" in the model name gives the game away, as it fits in with the SE amp and CDE cdp, ie cheaper, lower end models. It is also FM/AM only, and, thus far, has only been released in a couple of countries on the continent.

A bit disappointing really :(, and not a product that would pique my interest :thumbsdow.

I really hope that they are working on something to replace the 8000T/T32R DAB.

:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom