Audiolab 8000s + MA RS6 - cable recommendations?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Trixster, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Trixster

Trixster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

What speaker cable can people recommend for my setup?

I'm bi amping a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's with an Audiolab 8000s and 8000a. The 8000a has had the pre and power sections disconnected and is running purely as a power amp. The 8000s is taking care of the LF and the 8000a is running the HF.

I currently have a very old set of Gale XL-315 cables (roughly £1/m) and was thinking about upgrading to get the best from my system. A lot of people appear to suggest the QED Silver Anniversary XT but with the 8000s being so neutral and the RS6s being a bit bright would this cable be a good combination? I'm not looking to pay much more than £5/m as I'll need about 4 metre lengths and this will cost in the region of £80 for the lot!

Thanks

2. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Do not use QED silver anniversary, as it will be very bright/harch sounding. I use Cable Talk 3 (old but still good) but try any Chord or Van Damme (Maplins) as these are better and cost about the same.

AnilS.

3. Trixster

Trixster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply.

Looking on Maplins there appear to be lots of options - I take it many of these are Van Damme cables but are unbranded? If so, can you point to any (with a link) which you suggest?

I take it I'm better off getting cabling that is 'warmer' than the QED? Should I be avoiding silver cabling? Sorry for the numpty questions - I don't really know too much about cables I'm afraid!

4. jellybeard999

jellybeard999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In all honesty, what you've got is fine, IMO the only change is not in the quality, but in the tone of the sound. I wouldn't bother changing unless the setup is too bass happy or bright.

Just IMO of course, as this is a delicate subject.

5. AnilS

AnilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I have just looked on the Maplins website and they don't stock it:rolleyes: .

Do you have one near you as they may have it instore. I think it was called Van Damme Blue.

Other cables to try (avoid Silver);

Atlas Basic Biwire (strip to unbiwire them - neutral sounding)
    Ecosse Reference CS - 2.3 (tight bass)

The above cable can be bought from Music Matters in the Midlands but not sure where you are based. All within the budget.

Have experimented with simple "twin and earth"?

Anil.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello Trixter

You'll get lots of very polarised views on the ability of a cable swap to make any, some or no difference to the sound of your system.

If you want to consider the VanDamme Blue Series cables have a look at the AVForums Power Buy - see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388257

Have you tried the system with the 8000a on LF and the 8000s on HF duties?

Joe

7. Trixster

Trixster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Joe,

I'm running the 8000s on LF on the recommendation of one of the guys at The Audio Cellar who recently serviced and modded the 8000a for me. He stated that whilst the 8000a and 8000s have near identical power amp stages the 8000s has got a better power supply and hence would probably be best used for LF.