1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab 8000Q random muting problem

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by David77S, Feb 11, 2005.

1. David77S

David77S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have an Audiolab 8000Q that keeps on muting itself when it shouldn't. It may work for a minute or 2 then mute. Sometimes I can get it to unmute by switching source, but after a few muting events it stays muted until I switch it off and leave it for a while.

This 8000Q has a history. It was bought on eBay from a seller in the USA. It was sold as brand new and I have no reason to doubt this. Instructions were provided for the conversion to 230v (issued by Audiolab it would appear) and these were followed to the letter. Its current wiring configuration matches exactly the description for UK manufactured units. For a short while (and just hooked up to headphones) it worked and did not mute randomly. Now it mutes when it feels like it whether linked to my newly aquired 8000PX or just to headphones.

Reading the forum discussions regarding the current status of IAG and the apparent problems people are having with getting some repair work done is somewhat depressing. Any help and advice offered would be greatly appreciated. My greatest hope is that it could be repaired by a HiFi professional other than IAG, but I don't have a clue how serious the problem is, and what spares might be needed/difficult to get.

Many thanks

David77S

2. GMC2005

GMC2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The headphone socket can cause mute, is that the problem ?

3. David77S

David77S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 8000Q is being seen to, and it looks like it may be an intermittent joint fault.

Cheers

David

4. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Let me know how you get on!
    I'll be pleased to know you've got everything working!

5. Spenny

Spenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a similar fault on my Audiolab 8000S so I now just use this as a power amp for my rear speakers.

If it is a simple joint fault I might get this mended so I'm eager to find the diagnosis for your 8000Q.

Fingers crossed for you.

Andy

6. David77S

David77S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turned out that a single leg of one component in the muting circuit had not been soldered during manufacture.

David

7. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Glad you managed to get it fixed David :thumbsup: