AUDIOLAB 8000CDE - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ksprks, Apr 23, 2007.

1. ksprks

ksprks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard this player? How does it compare to the more expensive 8000CD?

2. crowncd

crowncd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have not listened to the 'E' version although I did audition its more expensive brother and was quite impressed. Did read a recent review - can't recall which mag - and the impression I got was that it was rated OK but very much an economy version of the more expensive model. Maybe the 'E' stands for economy.

3. ksprks

ksprks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I¢m afraid that all the new Audiolab products are rated merely as {ok} nowadays. This cannot be justified, since the design and construction (& IMHO sound, too) are equal, if not better, compared to the old models. Perhaps the Chinese ownership pays less ;) than the former (British) one.
    Despite these, I also think that the 8000CD is a pretty good machine, and if the cheap CDE shares a bit of its sonic character, it must be a cracker. BTW the audiolab site is a big letdown.

4. TOMMO3108

TOMMO3108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased @ 8000CD late last year for £449.00 but it went faulty after a month. The seller I purchased it from replaced it in error with a 8000CDE (which when I pointed this out to them ended up costing me £349.00).
    The only physical differences is a cheaper display and only one set of outputs on the CDE instead of two on the CD. For sound quality, frankly, I couldn't really tell any difference between the CD and CDE.
    I've got the CDE linked up to a 8000s amp and Quad 11L speakers and at the time of writing am extremely happy with it's performance.
    You may also like to know that Superfi are selling the 80000CD for £299.00.....

5. ksprks

ksprks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This makes CDE very tempting!! Thnx for the info:smashin:

6. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Very interesting to hear that they both sound roughly the same. I am currently looking at the 8000CD and 8000CDE to accompany my recently aqcuired 8000AV and 8000X7.

From what I can see, the CDE doesn't have a VFD display, has less connectivity on the back and a single PSU for both analogue and digital stages.

Did you look inside the CDE and CD to see if the boards are the same and (I assume) just missing some of the components to drive the additional analogue and digital outs.

Scouring some of the .pdfs on the web for the 8000 product range, I found a brochure claiming that the 8000CD is able to acheive jitter levels less than 6pS, which seems incredibly low to me. This statement is removed from other copies of the brochure. Wonder if it is true?

I reckon I'm going to give the 8000CDE a whirl.