Audiolab 8000AV, DD2.0/AC3

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Bjorn55, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Bjorn55

Bjorn55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just become an owner of the Audolab 8000AV, couldn’t wait for the 8000AP, and honestly I don’t need the HDMI etc.
    But when made the digital inputs setup and tried to assign DolbyPrologicII on a DD2.0/AC3 (from my TV Pioneer 436XDE) it fails, not possibly to assign any surround mode, just 2 channel DD out from the processor!!
    Can’t the 8000AV make this?:confused:
    (This were something my old Yamaha’s DSP-E800, and RX-V650 handled without any trouble)

//Bjorn

2. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I assume you've tried cycling through the surround modes with the 'surround' button on the remote? I just tried this with a DD2.0 source and it causes the unit to switch into some processing modes including 'DD + PL2'. I hadn't seen these before!

You can setup different processing modes for 44, 48 and 96K sources for each of the digital inputs. I have my 48K setting on input from my Sky HD box set to 'multi' which auto-detects the input and it decodes it as 'direct' DD. Can you not set the 48K source option for the input your TV is plugged into to 'PLII' (or possibly 'DD + PL2', don't know I haven't tried it). Should be possible if you can manually select it as above.

3. Bjorn55

Bjorn55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I’ve tried to toggle between the different modes, and can hear that they differ in sound, but the leds only indicate 2-channel.
    Just to let you know, I use the input “MD” (optical input) if that make sense. Programmed DPLII as default for 44k and 48k, but for 96k not possibly.
    On the TV I can switch between DD and PCM, with PCM no problem for DPLII, but when there is a DD5.1 transmission the PCM will of course not handle this.
    (sorry for my English..)

//Bjorn

4. milesr3

milesr3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I just tried this again with my 8000AV and in 'DD + PL2' mode there is definitely sound coming out of the centre and rear speakers with a DD2.0 source and it certainly sounds like PLII.

The LEDs indicate 2 channel sound as you say, which seems a little inconsistent as they usually indicate which channels are being output from the processor rather that which channels are in the source. Maybe you could email Audiolab and ask them for the rationale for this?

Have to admit that I'd never considered applying PLII (or any other) processing to a DD source. I just listen to it in its original format and have noticed a selection of 2.0, 5.0 and 5.1 material on Sky HD. I do however apply PLII movie processing to 44K source material on that digital (also MD) input.

No need to apologise for your English - it is perfectly comprehensible.

5. Bjorn55

Bjorn55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help,
    Looks like we are a little bit closer..
    Yes, I think there is a possibility, with the remote, to get DPLII (with only 2 leds!!??).
    But no way with the “Initial Surround Modes”, you need to toggle with the remote.:thumbsdow
    I’ve been in contact with IAG, but still no good answer..

What abut the TAG AV30R, does anybody know if it has the same behaviour?

//Bjorn

6. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I have an AV32R and when you input a DD signal, it displays what the input is, ie: DD2.0, DD5.1 etc,

when you change the surround mode then it displays what the input is, using the lights.

Therefore if SKY HD or BBC transmit DD2.0, I press surround until I get DD + PLII + SUB, and the lights stay the same.