1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab 8000A

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by docb, Jul 28, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking for a good second hand stereo amp, and was considering the Audiolab 8000A.

I know that it has been around for a number of years, and the likelyhood is that it will be above 10 years old (probably much more than that).

Have you got any thoughts on the longevity of this amp, and amps in general?
    Do they have a good lifespan?

Also any other recommendations that would be a good second hand buy?

Budget would be about £250/£300. Only use would be for CD's (Marantz 6000 OSE) No speakers yet, to be added after the amp purchase, which will be demo'd with amp and CD.

Thanks

Doc

2. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    There isn't really much to say, it's an excellent amp (I had one before I upgraded), it's very well built and judging by all the ones going on eBay they last quite well. Also worth considering are the 8000LX and 8000S.These came later and the S being the model up from the A, it might be a bit more but you've always got the chance of a bargin on eBay ;)

The LX as i remember although being cheeper didn't have the phono stage :smashin: ...but i'm sure someone will put me straight if i'm wrong :suicide:

One thing to bear in mind is that the 8000A evolved throughout it's life so the later ones(1996/7ish) sounded quite different to the early ones (1989ish).

Another amp which I remmeber being well received (if a little strange looking) and well made was the Cyrus One, and later the Cyrus iii/ straight line?

Did Tag release an intergraded amp after they took over Audiolab? :confused:

Hope this helps :)

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I sold my 8000a last year and it served me well for over 15 years. It once burned out a resistor on the power supply but this was soon rectified with a trip to RS.

Mine went on E-Bay last year for £180 so they still hold their price. Even my 1989 model at 50 WPC easily kept up powering the fronts in my 7.1 with a 125W Denon AVC-A10SE.

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
  5. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: