Audiolab 8000A vs Arcam Alpha 8 vs CA Azur 340A

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by SidVicious, Jun 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. SidVicious

SidVicious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently running a pair of Mission 752 Freedoms (Floorstanders) with a Cambridge Audio A1 Mk3 Amp. It doesn't sound that bad, but it is lacks bass and mid-range. I am thinking about upgrading and the following three amps fall within my budget (around £100):

- Audiolab 8000a (60 Watts into 8 Ohms)
    - Arcam Alpha 8 (50 Watts into 8 Ohms)
    - Cambridge Audio 340A (40 watts into 8 Ohms)

I have heard great things about all three, but can't decide on which one to go for. Anyone have any experiences with the above amps? Any input would be helpful.

Cheers
    Sid

2. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi, yes I'm running an Audiolab 8000a into a set of Mission M53ii's and it is a great combination.

3. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I would suggest the audiolab is probably the one to go for! Both the arcam and the audiolab have sold for a lot more money than the CA when new models. But you probably need to be aware that whilst both the audiolab and arcam are great amps they will sound poles apart...the arcam warm and smooth vs the audiolabs much more clinicle sound.......Pays yer money takes yer choice:hiya:

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I'd personally for any Sony ES amp you can land for £100. Also consider Harman Kardon - HK6500 or HK6550/HK6150/HK6350. £100 range. :smashin:

5. SidVicious

SidVicious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I think I understand your point, but I don't know which sort of sound I would prefer; warm and smooth or clinical?? :rolleyes: Is there really that much difference between the two?

Thanks for your replies guys.

6. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I had 752 freedom's with an 8000A, and while I really liked the sound, it's not for everyone.

The missions don't have lots of bass, it's deep and tunefull but not massive, and this combined with the 8000A's presentation the bass can feel lacking in substance. Although the missions silk tweeter works very well with the Audiolabs open top end.

IIRC the Arcam (delta? it was a long time ago :D ) to me sounded a but 'duller' but more weighty.

7. SidVicious

SidVicious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read in a few places about the mission's not really being big bass speakers, but I think as long as the mids and top end sound good it should be ok. So far nearly everyone i've spoken to has recommended the 8000A. Think it might be the way to go!

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Audiolab gear, and esp. the 8000A is not renowned for producing bass, nice synergy with bloomy/rosy speakers like Castles but not Missions. IMHO. As I say you can pick up better second hand gear, that has not been brushed with the "legendary" status of the 8000A. Good luck. I personally think Rotel works great with classic Missions, like the 773ES (Aerogel drivers) :smashin:

9. SidVicious

SidVicious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CJROSS, what would you recommend as an alternative then? I don't know much about the Rotels apart from the RA-04/03 which are out of my budget. Th HK's you mentioned haven't really come up much when I've beens searching these forums.

I am looking to go down the second hand route so what would you recommend?