1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab 8000A query

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by the_pauley, Jan 16, 2004.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I have just ordered a set of replacement phono sockets for my Audiolab 8000A amplifier after a few came unstuck due to excessively tight phono plugs. Apparently this problem with the phono sockets is not uncommon with Audiolab amps and is a bit of an Achilles heel for the product.

I have been told that the entire bank of phono sockets have to be replaced, not just the damaged ones. My question is this; is this a job that a layperson who is handy with a soldering iron could do or do I need to leave it in the hands of the experts?

I am loathe to leave it with a hi-fi dealer as I have been quoted silly money for the repair. Indeed I was quoted between £100 to £150 as a price for the phono sockets on their own - then the repair extra on top of that - by several hi-fi dealers!

I ended up getting them for £35 inc. delivery from Tag McLaren - a much more realistic price.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience of this as I am loathe to pay a third of the cost of the amp for a repair.

Thanks.

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you are handy with a soldering iron and a screwdriver then you should have no problem. It's been around 10 years since I had an Audiolab apart but the phono sockets should be a relatively easy soldering job. If I remember correctly the bottom panel unscrews to reveal the ciruit board soldering side.
    All in I would expect the job to take around half an hour if you are prepared with the correct tools.

Anybody had more recent dealings with an 8000A?

ps. I have seen an Audiolab with its phono socket pulled out. WBT locking phono plug to blame. The metal earth part of the socket was simply pushed back in and it worked fine!

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Exactly the same thing occurred to me with my Marantz PM66 KI (Cambridge Audio Pacifics are way too tight), luckily it was under warranty so was replaced for free.