AudioLab 8000a popping and cracking

bradreed

Novice Member
Hi guys,
Really not clued up on this kinda stuff at all and wondering if anyone could help.
I’ve lived in this shared house for a couple months and there is a hifi setup with the above amp that no one uses ”cause it’s broke”. It’s a shame cause it seems like a really good amp thats going to waste while we play music out of portable speakers and the TV.

I notice at some point someone has replaced the din connector with RCA, seems to be a bit of a dodgy job.
AFF7C74B-5A8C-4708-8B33-5BE2F291399C.jpeg

4FF84D63-D7D6-4EF5-AA11-7D8416CF954D.jpeg

But the main issue is a general distorted sound of the music, and popping and cracking especially when using the knobs and switches on the front. I’ll attach some videos. Would anyone be able to give any pointers on this? It’s such a shame that this is going unused, especially if it’s a simple fix. Would be great if I could DIY it as I don’t think anyone would be keen to chip in and get it professionally repaired :/ or failing that, maybe we sell as spares and repairs and someone could recommend a newer cheap-ish amp?

thanks so much in advance :)

videos here: iCloud Photo Sharing
one shows a very loud pop when changing the input, the other crackling while pressing the tone button. The audio always sounds pretty muffled.

larkone

Knobs and switches can be cleaned with switch cleaner - do a google search. Usually stops pops and crackles from switches unless they are knackered through age.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure that's a mk1 8000a and that would have originally been the MM phono input that's been modified. Not sure what they have done to it internally but I'm guessing they just adapted it for a turntable with RCA plugs.

oscroft

I'm pretty sure that's a mk1 8000a and that would have originally been the MM phono input that's been modified.
Yep, and it's one of the worst soldering hacks I've ever seen.

And here's what it would have looked like before the hack...

201209300147055718.jpg

It looks to me like the MM LOAD is just a parallel connection to the PHONO MM, so I think you could probably get an RCA to DIN cable and connect the turntable up to the MM LOAD instead.

oscroft

But the main issue is a general distorted sound of the music...
What are you using as a source, and what are you connecting it to? If you're connecting anything other than a turntable with a moving magnet cartridge to that RCA input, then it will sound wrong - because it's applying phono equalisation that will mess up any other source.

If you're using any other source, like phone streaming, CD, tape, whatever... you need to connect to one of the other DIN connections (with a converter lead if necessary).

bradreed

Novice Member
On a separate note, does it matter if I connect the speakers to “switched” or “direct”? We actually have 4 speakers that were just wired in parallel to one or the other - would it be best to use both?

oscroft

So if we just get one of these and plug into any other input then? 5 Pin Din Male Plug to Twin RCA Phono Sockets Adapter Cable 1.2m on OnBuy
Yep, that's what you want.

On a separate note, does it matter if I connect the speakers to “switched” or “direct”? We actually have 4 speakers that were just wired in parallel to one or the other - would it be best to use both?
I'd use both sets of connectors. Just push the "Speakers" button in and it will play through both sets - without it pushed, it will only play through the Direct connections.

bradreed

Novice Member
Sounds amazing, thank you all so much!!! Since only the tone button was dodgy and we never use that, left out the switch cleaner but still sounds awesome :))

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom