1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab 8000A owners please help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LeonidS, Feb 12, 2002.

1. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

sorry but one specific question about Audiolab 8000A ( I lost my manuals and could find anything on the web ).

There are two jacks on the back of this amplifier I am interested in

Power Amp IN and Pre Amp OUT

What connection I should use to connect AudioLab as Power Amp to Denon 2802.

I assumed that it will be Power Amp IN but I didn't get any sound.

Sorry for being stupid.

Leonid.

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Yes deffinately power amp in, Its been quite a while since i owned a 8000A but i seem to remember you having to switch the selector on the front of the amp to activate the power amp mode ?

Cheers Carlos

3. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I don't know what selector I need to switch.
    I tried probably all options but without success.

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Leonid,

I remember something about some jumpers inside the 8000A to use it as a power amp ? ( I might be wrong here)

You could ask at the http://www.tagmclarenaudio.com Forum, someone there will have the answer,

Good luck,

Mark.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok,

I dont want to stick my nose in where i dont really know.....but what is being said here sounds slightly different from the norm.

I actually now have pictures of the front and back cover....so i can tell you what i really think!

Well.....there is no front or rear panel selector applicable to the power amp in (or the pre out as expected). Power amp incould be a correct route to take.....but a questionable one. The idea behind that approach is to use the audiolab as a power amp only, in otherwords bypass the pre amp section. In doing this, you should be able to get sound coming from the 2802 (ie. movies) but since the pre amp section of the audiolab is bypassed, any of your stereo sources connected to it wont work. Or thats how it should be if the sockets have usual meanings.

Technically when using the power in....only the power and speakers front buttons should function....all others are preamp functions which have been bypassed. Hence fiddling with these has as you find no effect (the volume control is also an irrelevancy). So connected this way, the only control over the audiolab would be with the denon. If you are determined to take this route, I suggest you check out how the denon is set up.

I would still advise you to connect into one of the source in's.....tuner perhaps or any of the tape in connections. As such, to watch a film you simply set the input selector to whichever of these you choose, set the audiolab volume to half way and forget about it.

It all sounds complex...but once u get to it it is quite simple.

To calibrate the fromt channel to the right volume......set the input correctly, the volume to half way, then adjust the individual channel levels of your denon to match. Once you have done that once you can forget all about that then simple select your input and set volume half way each time you wich to watch a film. Then everything else is done using the denon.

actually it sounds complicated to even me now! but i suggest you have a go at that method as it will work. then just ask if you dont understand anything more.

ad

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I had the same problem with my 8000A when I used to use it as part of my system. I ended up using a normal input and then just setting the volume control to match the other speaker output volume.

Dont use it now it is gathering dust in the cupboard but I would be interested to know if you get it resolved. I see you have posted the same question at the Tag website. Let us know how it turns out

Darren

7. LeonidS

LeonidS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thank you for the advice. I will probably do what you suggest.
    Tag Mclaren suggested to change something inside amp so your approach is much simpler.