Audiolab 8000A or 8000S for Kef RDM 2 ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by archy121, Apr 24, 2007.

1. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

I have a pair of Kef RDM Two reference monitor speakers (small Bi-wireable bookshelf size) that i would like to run with Audiolab integrated Amp for some seriously good audiophile sound.

Below are spec's of the RDM Two's:

Design 2 way, 2 driver bass reflex
    Frequency response at 15°
    horizontally off axis ±3 dB 75 Hz - 20 kHz
    LF Corner -6 dB 65 Hz
    Crossover frequency 2.1 kHz
    Amplifier requirements 30 - 175 W
    Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 90 dB
    Maximum output 112 dB
    Impedance 6 ohms
    Magnetic shielding Yes
    Weight 8.3 kg (18.3 lbs)
    Dimensions
    (H x W x D) 330 x 234 x 272 mm
    13.2 x 9.3 x 10.9 in.

I am having difficulty deciding which of the two Audiolab amp's is suitable for the speakers & my music taste.

On the one hand i would really like to have the remote control feature of the 8000s but on the other hand i like the Tone & Bass control on the 8000a.

I'm guessing Audiolab had very good reasons for dropping the Tone/Bass control from the later 8000s but i can't help feeling i would like to have the choice to fine tune those values myself depending on the tracks I'm listening to.

My taste in music goes right across the board from Rock to Soul to little classical. I have heard reviewers comment that the 8000 can be a little too strong on the treble side at times, so having treble/bass control would be useful. Please help to answer the following:

- Would i have to use AV processor with 8000s to be able to adjust the Treble/Bass or do Audiolab offer another solution e.g Audiolab 8000q ?

The Kef RDM speakers are a little weak on the low bass frequencies & so i use a REL Active Sub to make up fo this.

-Will i be able to bi-wire (Bi-Amp ?) these speakers using either amp & be able to have the Sub connected at the same time ?

-How much has the 8000s sonically improved over the 8000a ?

Can you please help me decide which amp would be better suited to my speaker & needs. If the 8000a is the better one for me than i will sacrifice the need for a remote & go with it.

If there is a better solution to go with my speakers please share it. I have £250 budget for a second hand audiophile amp.

Thanks

2. Trixster

Trixster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The 8000s has a much improved pre-amp section and benefits from being able to switch between integrated and pre/pre-power mode at the flick of a switch. Effectively this makes it a real swiss army knife when it comes to matching it with other kit, as you can use it as an integrated amp or a power amp or a pre amp!

The 8000a shares the same power section as the 8000s but the 8000a has an inferior power supply and cannot separate the pre and power sections without internal modification. Whilst the preamp is still good, it's not as good as the one in the 8000s. Don't forget that the 8000s has a remote as well. If you run the 8000s in pre-power mode you can connect the sub too.

If you desperately need the tone controls then go for the 8000a. However if you can afford an 8000s you'll find it sonically a lot better. As for being treble happy - I wouldn't agree with this. Treble is detailed but not over emphasised. Bass is controlled and tight but never lacking. Both the 8000a and the 8000s sound superb and are very revealing amps.

3. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for advice Trixster.

What is Pre-power mode ?

So are you saying i will not be able to run the Sub & 2x speaker as effectively with 8000A ? The ability to use my REL sub is of higher precedence than Treble/Bass control. The RDM two's have great treble - absolutely amazing High's from the tweeters but due to there size the Lows. are little week so i feel it's essential that a Sub is used.

Also are there any other alternatives i should consider - £250 second hand range ?

How about stuff from musical fidelity ?

:thumbsup:

4. archy121

archy121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please someone..

How about another amp to suit the Kef RDMS's..

I was also considering the Mucical Fidelity range..

:lease:

5. Ratbike

Ratbike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can run a sub using the pre outs of an 8000A like I do. One other thing the 8000A has a fantastic phono stage built in to it