Audiolab 8000A Advice needed for a novice

Eli Colin

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new Rega P1 to help rediscover all my old records. I have two old sets of mission speakers but my Audiolab 8000A’s power cord seems to be missing. Is it worth it to try and figure out how to get a new cord or just splurge for a new amp? I haven’t used the Audiolab in 25 years...

I just bought a new Rega P1 to help rediscover all my old records. I have two old sets of mission speakers but my Audiolab 8000A’s power cord seems to be missing. Is it worth it to try and figure out how to get a new cord or just splurge for a new amp? I haven’t used the Audiolab in 25 years...
It's a standard IEC 'kettle' lead, easy to find - just look on eBay.

Actually, I've got a number of spares that I'll never use again. So, in the interests of recycling and saving waste, if you send me a mesage (I'm sure there must be a way to do that on the forum) and tell me an address, I'll send you one free of charge (assuming you're in the UK).
Ah, sorry, just saw you're in Canada.

Last edited:
Certainly worth trying it out. I still use mine purely for vinyl on the rare occasions I want to dig out an old record. It's a cracking amp.

There must be a suitable, easily available, mains lead /adaptor available in Canada.
Don't let that stop you getting your old amp going again - if only to compare it with a new one.

Ok. So I found an IEC “kettle” lead. Not sure what gage it needs tho. Other issue is in back of the amp there are several options for connecting the Rega. There is Phono MM “Load” L + R, “In” L + R, and finally Phono MC L+R. So three different options for phono input.
image.jpg

Actually, I've got a number of spares that I'll never use again. So, in the interests of recycling and saving waste, if you send me a mesage (I'm sure there must be a way to do that on the forum) and tell me an address, I'll send you one free of charge (assuming you're in the UK).

Thanks for the offer anyway! 👍🏻

Ok. So I found an IEC “kettle” lead. Not sure what gage it needs tho. Other issue is in back of the amp there are several options for connecting the Rega. There is Phono MM “Load” L + R, “In” L + R, and finally Phono MC L+R. So three different options for phono input.
View attachment 1260224
You say you've found an IEC 'kettle' lead - wire gauge doesn't need to be kettle thickness, but OK if it is.
Can you just show the same sort of close-up photo of back left of the amp so we can see the socket / fuse rating. (The socket has a pull-out fuse drawer for our market).
Was the amp made for your country's 120v supply, or do you use a step-up (120 to 240v) transformer?
Your turntable is fitted with a Moving Magnet cartridge. Connect it to 'MM' 'IN' White (or black) plug to Left, Red plug to Right and leave the red button in the out position.
Gotta go now as it's 2a.m. here 😴

You say you've found an IEC 'kettle' lead - wire gauge doesn't need to be kettle thickness, but OK if it is.
Can you just show the same sort of close-up photo of back left of the amp so we can see the socket / fuse rating. (The socket has a pull-out fuse drawer for our market).
Was the amp made for your country's 120v supply, or do you use a step-up (120 to 240v) transformer?
Your turntable is fitted with a Moving Magnet cartridge. Connect it to 'MM' 'IN' White (or black) plug to Left, Red plug to Right and leave the red button in the out position.
Gotta go now as it's 2a.m. here 😴
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes, clearly shows 3.15 Amp fuse protecting the amp.
Anything above 0.75mm gauge wire will be OK on your lead.
In the UK the wall plug end is fused to protect the cable - not sure about Canada, but 5 Amp is what you'd need if your wall plug has a fuse.
You should like the TT by the way - but then I could be biased, I used to work at Rega.

Anything above 0.75mm gauge wire will be OK on your lead.
Yes, the one that came with my 8000A was only quite thin. I don't know what gauge it is, but the mains lead that came with my 8000P is only thin too, and that draws more power. I really doubt there'd be a problem with any lead bought on eBay or similar, as long as it's not super thin.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom