Audiolab 6000A Play Integrated Streaming Amplifier Review & Comments

No gapless = non-starter. Still cannot believe they haven't fixed this yet.

I agree. Too many people have had too many problems with the Play Fi app, and if Audiolab hasn’t fixed it then shame on them. This new product is basically an excellent amp with a flawed streaming device bolted on.

Audiolab will not fix it because the software is owned by DTS. They know it is a problem but I believe they designed the software wrong in the first place and it would take a re-write to fix so they are not giving any date on its delivery, don't understand why Audiolab nailed their colours to that broken mast.

and they mention it when V5.1 was launched (they are now on V6.2)

We'll anticipate the most recent vocal feedback and just say that there's no Gapless playback at this time, unfortunately (we know that's a big one for a good portion of you audio lovers out there), but it is something we're taking a look at alongside some of our other hot ticket items

For us newbies, what would the lack of gapless mean for us? My ears are not good enough to truly appreciate much but I do like good sounding music. This device seems to be similar to one I am looking for since it has both Tidal and a dedicated Phono input. I see one used right now online for $749. I am guessing Gapless only matters when listening to full albums.

I guess it is a very subjective thing, but I do wonder if I would care. I listen to a lot of Jazz albums on Tidal so the tracks aren't really seamless anyways.

Same here. No gapless, no go. I have the 6000A and its amazing! But add a bluesound node 2i, on sale as we speak, and you will have a killer system with a great app and GAPLESS!

Ow, and a add a pair of bowers 606 and you will be in hifi heaven!View attachment 1393889

Last edited:
If you're willing to accept the lack of gapless play (it doesn't bother me apart from the odd time I play some Pink Floyd) then I believe the basic 6000A with a second hand Chromecast Audio would be better. Cheaper, more stable and the ability to be flexible should streamer requirements change. These built in solutions just scream 'Obsolescence' to me.

@RugbyAl The solution you have suggested using a Chromecast Audio can do gapless if you use the HiFiCast app on your android phone. It does require the phone (or tablet) to be on all of the time because that manages the playlist as gapless but in that respect the Play-Fi controller also needs to be on all of the time and cannot do gapless.

@RugbyAl The solution you have suggested using a Chromecast Audio can do gapless if you use the HiFiCast app on your android phone. It does require the phone (or tablet) to be on all of the time because that manages the playlist as gapless but in that respect the Play-Fi controller also needs to be on all of the time and cannot do gapless.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that - wont need it often but definitely needed when I'm chilled with Dark Side of the Moon :smashin:

I think the 6000a is the least risk obeisance amp I can think of. Many configuration options with the ability to add Subs or Power amp and AV integration, Simply class for the money.

The gapless playback is not an issue for me, niggle at best. I would like to see a USB input though.

Things like a proper remote control and a decent display all great things with really good build quality. The blue nodes plastic is rather off-putting and less than compelling.

If you're willing to accept the lack of gapless play (it doesn't bother me apart from the odd time I play some Pink Floyd) then I believe the basic 6000A with a second hand Chromecast Audio would be better. Cheaper, more stable and the ability to be flexible should streamer requirements change. These built in solutions just scream 'Obsolescence' to me.
100% agree, the added bonus is I already have 4 Chromecast audios anyway.

For completeness with the gapless thing @larkone has already mentioned hifi cast but let me add Logitech Media Server with the cast bridge plugin as another solution to gapless playback.

I really liked the idea of this a few weeks back to be used as a home theater bypass when watching movies.

It seems to have everything, price, convenience, digital and good write ups.

Unfortunately I think it will be too underpowered for my movies. I could probably accept the gapless

Onwards and upwards, well the price will be.

No HDMI, no starter for me unfortunately.

I still don't get why new amps with DACs etc don't include HDMI Arc as standard nowadays. If it's a cost issue I would happily pay a bit extra for HDMI.

I still don't get why new amps with DACs etc don't include HDMI Arc as standard nowadays. If it's a cost issue I would happily pay a bit extra for HDMI.
All the stereo amplifiers that I can think of with HDMI inputs are in Mid-Price, not Budget Amps.

Will this amp be able to drive a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 100s (4 ohm speakers) to low/medium volumes (never more than 80dB from a 9ft distance)? I’d say it is, but...

Great value at £800, I had an Audiolab 8000S years ago and loved it.

I now have Arcam SA10 amplifier with Arcam CDS27 SACD streamer and what I like about it besides the sound is I can use the combined SA10 remote to play my whole music collection from a simple attached silent 2.5" portable HDD without needing a tablet or phone. No computer networks or routers etc. needed.

I have started streaming internet radio and music from the phone's SD card to the CDS27 and using random play etc. but just using the remote is more bare bones. I even spin CDs too for the least hassle and that old feeling :D especially as there can be a favourite CD already in it for instant music with no hassles and gadgets.

I use the Toslink input from my TV into my Arcam SA10 with all HDMI devices routed through the new LG TV and the sound is great. I only output PCM to stereo speakers though.

I assume you are using some kind of pass through surround sound that needs more than two channels?

I've recently got myself one of these on ex-demo and paired it with the 6000CDT (CD Transport).
It's running a pair of Gallo Micro SE and a Gallo MPS-150 sub.

It's helpful though to think of it as an excellent amplifier and DAC with the bonus of some streaming features rather than an out and out streamer with the bonus of an amp.

Play-Fi itself is a bit of a disappointment if I am honest, it's saving grace is the Spotify Connect functionality.
I had been planning to setup a Tidal premium subscription to take advantage of the lossless and HiRes audio options, but the lack of gapless playback or Tidal Hi-Res support in Play-Fi has put paid to that. (Spotify connect on the 6000A Play is gapless though) Some consolation is that having tested it out my ears cannot tell the difference between Spotify 320 and Tidal Lossless, saving me a tenner a month.

Compared to Spotify Connect the rest of Play-Fi feels quite clunky, and as pointed out above there can be substantial gaps between tracks. Not only that, aside from Spotify connect the audio needs to go via the phone which means things like calls or even Siri will interrupt the music. Built in Chromecast and Airplay would have been handy too, instead I have added a Chromecast audio to enable me to play Mixcloud as it was not featured amongst the Play-Fi apps.

Using it with the 6000CDT sounds really very lovely.
Overall despite the gripes about Play-Fi I am very happy with it, the sound is quite a step up from the old Yamaha AV amp I was using before. The spotify functionality works well, getting it setup on the Wifi was pretty pain free, it looks great, sounds great and pairs nicely with the CD transport.

This is not an AV amp and to be honest, I would want more power from an AV amp. This is a Stereo amp. and provides much better performance than Arc/eArc/Chromecast etc can provide. Play-Fi needs to be a lot better IMHO.

Thanks for the review! Much appreciated.

I'm looking to pair my Focal Chora 806s with the Audiolab 6000A Play and have a couple questions, for sanity check, if I may....

1. Spotify Connect (which the 6000A Play supports) would entirely eliminate DTS Play Fi from the streaming chain, correct?

2. When using DTS Play Fi on Windows OS, the audio is not streamed from the computer, correct? This "issue" only occurs when using the mobile app on Android/ iOS etc?

On another note, I see DTS have released version 7 of their Play Fi software. Not that I care about gapless playback, but reading between the lines, I'm thinking this may be "fixed" later this year.

Cheers.

Thanks for the review! Much appreciated.

I'm looking to pair my Focal Chora 806s with the Audiolab 6000A Play and have a couple questions, for sanity check, if I may....

1. Spotify Connect (which the 6000A Play supports) would entirely eliminate DTS Play Fi from the streaming chain, correct?

2. When using DTS Play Fi on Windows OS, the audio is not streamed from the computer, correct? This "issue" only occurs when using the mobile app on Android/ iOS etc?

On another note, I see DTS have released version 7 of their Play Fi software. Not that I care about gapless playback, but reading between the lines, I'm thinking this may be "fixed" later this year.

Cheers.
1. Spotify Connect does indeed bypass Play-Fi and works really well on my Quad Vena 2 Play.

2. Not sure, sorry

3. Version 7 still suffers from disconnections etc via iOS and Android apps. Gapless is not fixed, it is more of a workaround from what i understand.

4. You can transfer playback once streaming has started, so that the Audiolab streams directly, however this is still quite clunky.

Just an FYI, i got so fed up with Play-Fi that i bought a Node 2i and run digital out from that into the Quad. Much more reliable.

Thanks @ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Here are some of my thoughts after a couple weeks with the 6000A Play.

Spotify Connect works a treat, no need for any Play-Fi apps/connections to be made. This is the saving grace.

Play-Fi app on Android is rather solid, works well, only disconnected once but that could have been a Wifi issue. One can minimise the app and multitask but playback will stop if exiting or swiping up on the app.

The desktop app on Windows is a problem. The next song in a playlist often will not be played back through the 6000A Play. You have to stop the track in the Windows Deezer app, click on another song, then back again to hear the intended track as wished.

In terms of the 6000A Play, it's a keeper. The sound is very neutral/ natural, with a solid, tight bass kick. I have it in Silver, it's a solid, heavy piece of kit, looks and feels great, really fantastic build quality. Spotify Connect is the saving grace here, and for my needs, Play-Fi via Android works well enough.

Thanks @ItsNotAllSnakeOil

Here are some of my thoughts after a couple weeks with the 6000A Play.

Spotify Connect works a treat, no need for any Play-Fi apps/connections to be made. This is the saving grace.

Play-Fi app on Android is rather solid, works well, only disconnected once but that could have been a Wifi issue. One can minimise the app and multitask but playback will stop if exiting or swiping up on the app.

The desktop app on Windows is a problem. The next song in a playlist often will not be played back through the 6000A Play. You have to stop the track in the Windows Deezer app, click on another song, then back again to hear the intended track as wished.

In terms of the 6000A Play, it's a keeper. The sound is very neutral/ natural, with a solid, tight bass kick. I have it in Silver, it's a solid, heavy piece of kit, looks and feels great, really fantastic build quality. Spotify Connect is the saving grace here, and for my needs, Play-Fi via Android works well enough.
Glad to hear you're happy with it. If i was only using Spotify Connect i wouldn't have bothered with the Node 2i but unfortunately i listen to all lossless on my Quad. They haven't even looked at integrating Tidal Connect either. Play-Fi works better on Android than iOS due to the way Android treats apps vs Android. I did still see issues with it though when streaming lossless and Hi-Res. If i didn't love how the Quad sounds i may well have binned it off by now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom