Audio Wireless Transmitter

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ipsterl, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ipsterl

ipsterl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of setting up a home theater in my living room with b&w cm front speakers and rotel amp and pre-processor. Rear speakers may be b&w 600 series, not exactly sure yet. Given the layout of the room I would prefer to have the rear speakers run wirelessly. Is there any recommendations of wireless transmitters that I can then hook up to my rear speakers or a rear amp? Suggestions, thanks.

2. Chris Reed

Chris Reed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looked at the same thing myself and the only solution I found was from KEF (works with any brand) but each receiver on the satellite speakers needs to be mains powered. Oh so close but not ideal for what I wanted.

Chris

3. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    theres no such thing as "wireless speakers" im afraid - as above - the only systems available replace the need for a signal wire from the amp to the speaker, but they still need power to an internal amplifier, so you need a power socket near each speaker at the rear, so in effect, you lose one cable from the amp, and just replace it with another cable to a socket nearby

of course it also limits you to how much power you can give your rears - not an issue with say 40 or 50w per channel via a cheap internal amp plugged into the mains near each speaker, but for hi-fi quality rears then I wouldnt go for the "wireless" option myself

4. ipsterl

ipsterl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I am not looking for wireless speakers, simply a transmitter, so that I don't have to run wires from the front of the room to the back of the room. I have a bookshelf at the back, so am fine plugging something in at the back and having wires at the back. Ideally I'd like to have a 2 channel amp and wired speakers in the back, or at minimum wired speakers, just not wires running from the receiver up front to the back of the room.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Keep in mind that for every wireless transmitter, there must be a matching wireless receiver. And, you can't transmit power only signal. So, at the speakers receiving the signal, there must still be some type of power amplifier to drive the speakers.

You will find an odd wireless speaker here and there, but there is a reason why they have never caught on, and it is because they don't really work that good. Too many variables.

Steve/bluewizard

6. ipsterl

ipsterl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping to have a transmitter up front and its corresponding wireless receiver in the rear. Then hoping to hook an amp to the wireless receiver to add the power to the speakers. The speakers themselves don't need to be completely wireless.

7. daisy143

daisy143
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you are talking about FM transmitter or speaker?

8. ipsterl

ipsterl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally, something to transmit the signal, from say a movie, to the rear of the room. It would probably have to have a transmitter up front attached to my pre-processor and then a reciever in the back receiving the wireless signal. Attached to the receiver in the back would be a 2 channel amp and then speakers. I am not worried about cables running along the back of the room, just from the front to the back.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,211
    Just another bit of trivia, likely some wireless transmitters use Infra-Red which implies, more or less, 'line of sight'.

Though as you know 'line-of-sight' is not absolutely literal, you can probably point your IR remote control at the ceiling and still change channels.

If you decide on a wireless setup, be sure to post back and tell us what you have and how it is working. User feedback is very important to us, since we can't possible have detailed knowledge of everything that exists in the audio world.

EDITED:

Here is another thought, though I'm not 100% sure it will work for surround sound, but if you have computers in your house, you can wirelessly transmit music over a wireless network.

Sonos wireless network music-
    http://www.sonos.com/landing/generi...x8L82ZgCFQG7GgodwX8tcw&rdr=true&LangType=2057

Also, a quick search of Google-UK (http://www.google.co.uk/ ), limiting your search to the UK, will turn up several sources of Wireless speakers systems.

Example -
    http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr6460.html?gclid=COnLrMD82ZgCFQFvGgod0CUydg

This next place might be able to help you out considering the name of the website is 'Wire Free AV' -

http://www.wirefreeav.co.uk/products.php?product=Wireless-Speakers-(CES20)

These were just a few that came up at the top of my Google search.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009