Audio/video sync problem - M4V/MP4 on PS3

GainfulShrimp

Standard Member
Reaction score
Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong subforum - I'm new here and this felt like the best place as my problem seems to be specific to my Sony PS3...

The background to my problem: I've been happily streaming self-ripped AVIs (Xvid/MP3) to my PS3 (via Tversity) from my WinXP box for many years. The PC is too old and slow for on-the-fly transcoding, but for supported formats, it works just fine. But I'm no longer happy with the relatively poor quality of my older rips (created back when lack of disk space was important to me), so I decided to bite the bullet and re-rip my DVD collection in a modern format that would give me much better quality.

I wanted to use a format which looks and sounds pretty good on *all* the platforms I frequently use:
- iPhone 4GS
- iPad 2
- Sony PS3
- Sony KDL-22EX320 ('Smart' TV with built-in WiFi and DNLA support)
- AC Ryan PlayOn DVR HD

I would prefer quality over file size, as I have a Seagate Goflex Satellite to augment the pathetic internal storage on my Apple devices, and I don't want to maintain multiple versions of the same rip for the various devices (it's going to take me months just to rip everything once).

I chose MP4/M4V as my container of choice, as it's ostensibly supported on all of those devices.

But the problem is, having ripped a good few days worth of my DVDs to M4V (x264 video and AAC audio) using Handbrake 0.9.6, I've discovered that many of my rips suffer from out-of-sync audio... but only on the PS3. The exact same files play just fine in VLC Player and also on all the other devices above - it's just the PS3 that doesn't like them. I don't think it's Tversity at fault, as I haven't noticed audio sync issues when streaming to my AC Ryan set top box also via Tversity, and it's always been fine for streaming AVIs.

This issue is driving me slightly crazy as I'm pretty comfortable with technology and command line tools etc, but can't seem to find a solution to this one. I feel it's something really subtle with my Handbrake settings, but I don't know enough about codecs and video encoding tech to make sense of the advanced parameters: b-frames, CABAC, pyramidal wotsits, etc.

Here's a summary of the Handbrake settings that I've been using:

1. I start with "Regular > High Profile" preset.
2. Anamorphic = strict (I keep the auto cropping and dimensions)
3. I keep the Detelecine and Decomb filters on 'Default' - which should mean they only kick-in when needed for certain content.
4. Video Codec = H264 (x264) obviously.
5. I've been mostly keeping framerate as 29.97 but selecting 'Peak Framerate (VFR)', and this setting seems to produce nice rips from both R1/NTSC or R2/PAL DVDs - basically Handbrake adjusts to match the required framerate up to a maximum of 29.97.
6. Constant Quality RF = between 19 (for movies) up to 21.5 (e.g. stuff for the kids where I don't care so much for quality)
7. Audio is AAC (faac), mixdown to 2ch (Dolby Pro Logic II), Sample rate = Auto, Bitrate = 128
8. No subtitles or Chapters.
9. I leave all the advanced settings as-is (for the High Profile I mentioned earlier).

The resulting rips look beautiful on all my devices (even the PS3!) and I'm pretty chuffed with the filesize (certainly for the quality)... it's just that the audio is out of sync with the video, when I view these files on my PS3 (via Tversity). :(

Any advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated. If I've forgotten to include some relevant info, please let me know.

Whoops... just realised there's a dedicated subforum for PS3 Media and Streaming; I hadn't noticed it because it was under "Playstation Gaming". Sorry!

Perhaps a kind mod could move this thread for me? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom