1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio video capture device

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by steve in derby, Jul 8, 2005.

1. steve in derby

steve in derby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am seeking advice on the best device for the job below.....
    I have a lot of sporting videos on vhs cassettes and i want to put some clips onto a laptop which runs windows xp and then project these through a sanyo high power projector across a sports hall.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    To get the best quality from the VHS to laptop you will need either a DV camcorder with AV-in enabled (most sold in UK have AV-in disabled, so check specs closely) or the very good Canopus ADVC converter. There are several Canopus models, but if all you want is to display video then the basic model should be good enough.
    The only thing you need on the laptop is plenty of disc space as AVI video & audio files (the file format that will be on the laptop) take up approx 14Gb per hour. You could always compress the files to save space though.
    The only other thing you need is a firewire port on the laptop to connect the camcorder or converter to it.

You will find loads more help and advice on this in the 'Camorder & video editing' area of these forums.

Mark.

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    You can also use an A/V Pyro link from ADS.

http://www.adstech.com/products/API-555/intro/api555_intro.asp?pid=API-555

Like the Canopus it's got hardware sound syncing and so even long captures remain in sync (something you can say of cheap an' cheerful USB capture boxes). It's also got component in and out so will capture in very high quality.

The trouble is that both the Canopus and the ADS Pyro Link cost more than a cheap stand alone DVD recorder, which I would suggest would be one helluva lot easier to use, and will produce results as good as you're likely to get from VHS tapes in the first place.

Regards

Mark