Audio to WiSA SoundSend with non-ARC projector and nvidia shield

juryrig

Novice Member
Hi,
I'm trying to replace the old AVR in my home theater setup with the Platin Milan 5.1 + WiSA SoundSend wireless system but I can't get any audio working.

What I have:
  • Nvidia Shield TV Pro
  • Epson EH-TW9400 projector (only has HDMI inputs and no audio out)
  • WiSA SoundSend (has HMDI and Optical inputs) to transmit to platin 5.1 speakers wirelessly.
  • HDfury AVR key (was using this to split Shield output into video to projector and audio to old AVR)
  • [email protected]/[email protected] 48Gbps HDMI cables x3

I assumed that the HDfury AVR key would work to send audio to the SoundSend but it doesn't seem to be registering any input and I have video but no sound. Is the issue that the SoundSend is designed to be connected to TVs via ARC/eARC connection and it doesn't recognise non-ARC input?

Can anyone recommend a simple fix? I suspect there must be a way to get audio to the SoundSend via HDMI or optical using some adapter. From the research I've done so far I gather there may be issues with getting 5.1 audio from apps like Netflix if I go for optical. I'm a bit out of my depth understanding the differences between various audio formats.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It looks like your SoundSend device is from another manufacturer who has realised that if they have an eARC/ARC ‘only’ HDMI socket it saves them a bundle on licensing costs.

You will need to replace the HDFury AVR Key with the HDFury Arcana or Vertex3 (VRRoom) to use the eARC socket on your device.

Joe

Upvote 0

juryrig

Novice Member
Thanks Joe,

I suspected that might be the adapter I need.

Before I pull the trigger, I was wondering:
  • Would a HDMI to optical audio extractor like below work for my setup?
  • If so, what would the drawbacks be compared to the HDfury Arcana, say?

Thanks very much

Amazon product

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If your device has Optical In then yes any number of HDMI to Optical converters or HDMI Switch with Optical Out will work - you will be limited to DD5.1, which may in turn limit some of the streams you want to access to 1080p.

Check the options on the streams you are looking to access on the ShieldTV.

Joe

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom