Audio Technica ATH-SR9 Headphones Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Ed Selley, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,717
    2. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,823
      You sure that cable is bespoke? Those looks like MMCX connectors (like Shure etc use) though they look like they might be a bit longer

3. Steven

Steven
      Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,509
      The manufacturer website confirms they are A2DC ( Audio Designed Detachable Coaxial) connectors

• Like Like x 1
      • Thanks Thanks x 1
      • List
    4. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,561
      couple of questions ed - will you be also reviewing the bluetooth - ATH-DSR9BT ?

i was looking for an allround solution - i want the convenience of blutooth but retain the high quality sound on the move, but i also want a headphone that can utilise the DAC in my oppo 205 for home listening - i just wasn't sure if the headphones reviewed here were the answer. if the bluetooth version can do both (that would be the answer) but its been decades since i bought a decent pair of headphones, so i'm completely out of touch.

5. theogulland

theogulland

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Just to chuck in the mix, some say that the baby brother 'DSR7BT' sounds better than the bigger brother DSR9. The reviews for them are very good overall too. Given the price drop, it's worth a look.

Both the DSR7 + 9 have the new aptx HD (for wireless), however very few devices support this at present. That being said, devices in the future will needlessly adopt this new technology as it's only going up so to speak.

@golden phoenix - FYI both the DSR7 + DSR9 DON'T have a traditional headphone jack, instead they have a micro usb (for charging / listening to music on pc). This means you can connect them to a PC via the usb cable, however they will not be able to connect to traditional headphone jacks. I'm not sure if it would therefore work on Oppo 205, however I maybe wrong!? I'm not 100% sure if there is a connector to mobile phones etc out yet, but haven't come across one yet.

Regardless if you have aptX HD, you can listen wirelessly via 24-bit/48kHz. The bluetooth is backward compatible needless to say, so they are fully geared for bluetooth use.

6. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +864
      Would these work well with an Audioquest Dragonfly Black or would a Red be better?

I was looking into the DSR7 / 9 as mentioned above but I notice that my phone (Note 8) doesn't support APTX HD. (I am now thinking whether I should have gone for the V30, which does have APTX HD).

But looking at a wired option (and not overly fussed about active noise cancelling) - I am considering the SR9s.

7. the little audio company

the little audio company
      Previously davidf AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +752
      The ATs aren’t hard to drive, so the Black would probably be fine, but if you like volume, the Red would be better. Also, the Red has The technically better DAC, so sounds better (preferences aside).