Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b Headphone Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,002
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    2. HMHB

HMHB
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,438
      Thanks Ed. Looks interesting and another one to add to my list of possibles.

As well as listening to music from a HiFi amp and my iPad, I would want to try these when playing my synthesizers. The synths go through a mixer which has a headphone socket so that is fine, I was just wondering if these headphones will add any sort of 'colour' to the sound? I appreciate they're not designed as studio monitors but I wouldn't need to go to those sorts of levels.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    3. Jokerr

Jokerr

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +616
    4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,002
      Who's many?

There's a methodology to how the testing is done that stands repeating once in a while. The equipment used for testing headphones and earphones has not been measured here but it has been elsewhere. The performance of it therefore can be judged to be as close to a transparent and neutral ideal on which deviations from a baseline can be judged fairly easily. Everything tested goes through the same program of material via the same equipment- this can sometimes be augmented by other devices but there is an irreducible minimum of what they do go through. Therefore- judged with neutral, high performing partnering equipment against the results of other devices I found neither of those criticisms to be the case.

Your turn of phrase is interesting, I'd thought I'd seen it before and here it is again;

Again, who's many? Is this the assembled feedback of reviews or forum groupthink from people who have bought the product and- whether they like it or not- will be seeking to reinforce their purchasing decisions? Is it based on anything more or less tangible than what I've written here? I'll level with you, one of the reasons I'm not dropping everything to review an Audeze headphone is that I've found the previous results, all the way up to thousands, to be a bit underwhelming- there's always something I'd rather have for the same price. I'm very aware that many people here vehemently disagree with me on this but there we are. Their earphones, by contrast are spectacular and my feelings HERE and elsewhere reflect that.

I've no investment in either of these brands, I've failed miserably in my time doing this to accrue the kickbacks we're periodically accused of raking in and the MSR7b samples are boxed and ready to return home. AVForums would still have paid me if I'd said they were unlistenable. I didn't write this because- based on the evidence available to me- they aren't.

5. Jefke13

Jefke13
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
      Well said!

6. crashcris

crashcris

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +533
      I wouldn't get too upset by his comment, he's obviously just a bit of a jokerr.