1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio system for my PC... a little help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by spike095, Dec 9, 2003.

1. spike095

spike095

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've slowly begun upgrading my PC audio system as I realized I listen to music pretty much 8-10 hours a day. Keep in mind I'm a poor coIlege student in a tiny dorm room. I owned the Altec Lansing 621 Multimedia Speaker system. First, I added an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card to my PC. Now I've swapped out the Altec 621 satellites with some Wharfedale Diamond 7.2s. While the Wharfedales sound great, they are SERIOUSLY underpowered... the minimum recommended wattage of the Wharfedales is 50 watts @ 8ohms, while my altecs' old sub puts out somewhere betwee 35-45 watts @ 4 ohms... meaning my wharfedales are struggling. My question is: if I only have $150 more to spend, what can I do to improve this system? I was looking at picking up a Velodyne VX10... but I have a few questions. As the Velodyne has an amplifier, does this mean I don't need to get a receiver/amp? (the altec 621 sub is pretty much sub/amp all in one... albiet a weak one). If so, will I still be able to control the speaker amplification volume? If this VX10 / Wharfedale combination is no good, what other options can I consider? All of the cheap receivers I looked at were terrible... I want to give my Wharfedales the power they deserve, but I want to keep my system 2.1 and stay under $150. Any advice you can give would be great! I know this a rather weird question and I am not that knowledgable...

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi-Fi subs are not the same setup as computer sound subs, the amp in the Velodyne is only for the sub driver and doesn't have any outputs for other speakers. With the setup you have I would get a cheap Hi-Fi amp from Richer Sounds or even a cheap AV amp if you can aford it and conect the soundcard to that.

Richer Sounds

:smashin:

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Is that US$ you are spending?

If it is then $150 could get you a used stereo amp from NAD, Denon, Harman, Rotel etc. or maybe a something new in a sale. Use that for running the Wharfedales and configure the sound card for stereo left/right and subwoofer out (2.1).

However from what I remember the 7.2's aren't that short of bass and a couple of reviews I found comment on it's good quality of bass. So if you are really after good sound use the Diamond's and amp in stereo without the Altec sub. Then you can sell the Altec speakers, save up and add the Velo or similar later.