1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio sync while projecting DVDs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Skyav, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I wondered if somebody might be able to shed some light ( :D ) on this problem. I recently picked up a Themescene (Optoma) H30 which I'm very pleased with - the picture is fantastic (yes, I see rainbows, but they are manageable and nowhere near as obvious as the ones I saw on the EP757).

The problem is - I have started noticing the audio on about half of my DVDs drifting out of sync with the picture (the images are usually about 3 or 4 frames behind the sound). I'm certain it's not the DVD player because I never noticed it before when going through a TV - and I am very fussy about audio sync being perfect.

I connected my DVD to the projector with the supplied scart converter, and the cable is short - so that surely can't be contributing to it? I have also tried re-jigging all of the settings on both the DVD player and the projector to see if anything made a difference and it doesn't.

It would be great if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers,

Skyav :thumbsup:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lip sync can be a problem especially when there is video processing going on in the projector, DVD player or external processor/scaler.
    Some a/v amps like the Denon 3805 allow you to compensate for this as do some video processors like the DVDO iScan HD.
    If there is no adjustment in your system, there's not much you can do to correct it.

Jeff

3. prmedloc

prmedloc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought I had the same problem but when I watched the same movie on tv you can more or less see the same thing. Since then I've been playing dvds through my xbox via the optima and everything looks ok.

The only thing I could think is that the Optima adds some delay, so if your dvd also has a slight delay the two add up and cause a very noticable problem.

4. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ive found i have the same problem occasionally but it seems to be very dependent on the disk. some dvds are spot on to my eyes, some a slightly off and some are wayyyy out.

spinal tap was one of the worst iirc but there have been others that are definitely distracting

5. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a major issue with audio sync (one of the main reasons why I wouldn't even consider a plasma screen, which incorporate a delay as a 'feature'), and I've noticed that some DVDs slip even when watching on a TV, but if you stop the disk and start again from the same point that you stopped it's fine again... also some early DVDs that I've got are permanently a few frames out of sync... It's a bugger, but it seems that there's little you can do about it!

Mat

6. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To see what would happen, I hooked my projector up to my flatmates cheap £50 DVD player he bought from WHSmith...and would you believe it...the sync is almost spot on while playing my "trouble" discs. The picture was dreadful though...lol. I guess it's some kind of weird incompatability issue going on here - disc to player, player to projector - I've no idea. In any case I should probably upgrade my DVD player to a named brand in the hope of sorting it out once and for all.

Thanks all

Skyav :thumbsup: