1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Sync trouble

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by richjthorpe, May 3, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I've got a Denon 1601 AV Receiver linked to Canton CD-1 and sources of Digifusion Freeview box and Marantz DV4100 DVD player.

The problem I have is that the lipsync is out and you can hear the sound before the video. It's only slightly out and on some programs you can't even tell, but it is there.

I've tried setting the distance from the centre channel to the lowest and then to the highest from the listening position but nothing affects it. I haven't tried setting the dB levels on it though.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Richie.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Is it only when viewing Freeview channels that you notice the lip sync error? Or do you notice it with a DVD as well?

If it is only when watching Freeview, and only on certain channels then I'm afraid there is very little that can be done. The cause of these problems is that some channels get out of sync at transmition. I find that Sky News is the worst affected channel, and most of the other news channels are almost as bad. This is due to the fact that the camera is mainly pointing directly at somebody whos is talking, and you are consentrating on them speaking so any delay is more obvious.
    Some AV receivers have a master audio delay feature, but not normally the budget models. Without the master delay it is impossible to accurately set up the receiver to correct the lip sync error.
    If the Freeview box has a digital audio output then you can get a delay unit from Felston that will be able to adjust any delay as required to get the video and audio back in sync.

HTH,
    Mark.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Mark, I'll have to take a look at a DVD tonight. I thought it did happen but haven't watched one for a while !

Cheers,

Richie.