Audio / Sky HD Multi-room Solution Required

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by castor, Feb 11, 2014.

1. castor

castor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

In need of some advice/guidance with the media element of our renovation project.

1) Audio - We are having a number of KEF CI160QR's fitted and then hardwired back to our 'media hub' which is located in the cupboard underneath the stairs. We want the ability to listen to different music in up to 7 different zones. Unpon visiting the local audio store, I was advised to go with 7x Sonos Connect AMP's and a couple of Sonos Bridge AMP's. Providing us with the ability to access each zone wirelessly and play music from upto 7 different sources. Is this the best and most cost effective solution availble to us?

2) Visual - We would like to have 3x SkyHD boxes (1X Main 2xMulti-room) located in our 'media hub'. We would like to access and remotely control any of the 3 boxes from up to 7 rooms within the house. Is this possible? what solutions are available to us?
    I would consider having the main SkyHD box fed into 1 room and the 2x multi room's split between the remaining 6 rooms. Basicially looking to achieve the ability to watch/control 3 different channels in 3 out of 7 different rooms at any given time.

If further clarification is required, please just ask. Any advice or guidance you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    All possible - assuming you have the budget!

Your budget may dictate a slightly less 'integrated' solution than you may envisage!

How much 'work' would you want to take on or are you looking for a turnkey solution?

Joe

3. castor

castor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks For the response Joe.

As the house is going to be stripped back to bare walls, the amount of work involved isn't going to be an issue. Finding the the most functional and cost effective solution is our aim. Turnkey would be great, but we are open to other solutions. Budget wise - looking mid end products. I was quoted £7k by the local Audio store for the complete Sonos solution (inc Kef spks & cable) described in my first post. I believe that our requirements can be achieved at a cheaper cost, just don't know where to start looking.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hi Castor

'We want the ability to listen to different music in up to 7 different zones' you are not going to find anything even remotely close to SONOS for less money.

It’s not 'physical' work the system you describe requires is planning, configuration and programming.

You could base your SKY HD Distribution around our Octava HD4xSTPMX - which would be around £3.2 K for 4 Sources to Six Zones and includes Routed and Broadcast IR - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HD48STPMX.htm

Add in 7 x SONOS CONNECT:AMP’s at £2.8K and your £7k budget is disappearing fast!

SONOS Zone Players (apart from the PLAYBAR) are not a good option for 'TV' audio as the analogue audio Inputs have an inherent processing delay so audio/video ends up being out of sync.

Possibly you could use a few PLAY:1 or PLAY:3 to keep the SONOS spend down and or double up a couple of Zones and wire a CONNECT:AMP to 2 pairs of your installed speakers.

Joe

NOTE the SONOS Bridge is not an Amp it is merely a 'Wi-Fi' Extender for the SONOS wireless MESH.

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    What actual facilities do you need from your multizone audio, we can then work out a mid range solution ?

The HDMI distribution is relatively straightforward

We have 8x8 HDBaseT matrix for around £3900 (some discounts are available), this would handle the distribution of the SKyboxes, and other sources to any of up to 8 TVS, with discrete/routed IR control, POC (power over Cable) so no power required at the receiver end.

6. castor

castor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the multizone audio, we would like to:
    - Play/control music via Ipad/Iphone etc.
    - Play music from different sources in different rooms simultainiousley or same source across all rooms.
    - Connect to hardrive/media server and access entire music library (nice to have, not essential as spotify carries most, if not all music)

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

I have a meeting with Pure Audio tomorrow to see their new range of multizone products which are considerably lower cost than Sonos, though I would still recommend Sonos the Pure I think will offer a lower cost solution. I will let you know tomorrow the details.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    'From the multizone audio, we would like to:
    - Play/control music via Ipad/Iphone etc.
    - Play music from different sources in different rooms simultainiousley or same source across all rooms.
    - Connect to hardrive/media server and access entire music library (nice to have, not essential as spotify carries most, if not all music)'
    - you just described SONOS!

Joe

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    While I await the full solution from Pure tomorrow, though I think I now know what it would be.

For a higher end solution but lower cost you may want to have a look at the Loxone solution

This consists of a miniserver automation server, music server and a 8 zone amplifier and provides some of the features of Sonos for around £2690 (excluding speakers)

The Loxone Multiroom Music Server for your Smart Home | Loxone

This solution can be expanded for other home automation tasks via the MiniServer.

It will be more complicated to setup initially than Sonos though has a very powerful App and interface designer.

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Sorry, realised you don't actually need the Miniserver immediately but can be added later when you want more home automation. So £2260 for a system.

All speakers would be home run back to Node0 to a single box 8 zone Amplifier, then linked to the Music Server with 1TB of storage but also you can use Spotify, or other sources. It also has a preamp IN/out for linking to existing amplifiers or accepting input from existing amps.

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    With 14 x Kef CI160QR's total price would be £4010 approximately 1/2 the price of Sonos.

So total price with our 8x8 HDbaseT matrix with 8 Receivers would be £7910.00

So for the price of the Sonos system you could also have your Tv Distribution included!!

12. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I should have pointed out that the Loxone quoted was actually an 8 zone music server and 12 zone mono amplifier (or 6 zone stereo). For a 12 zone music server and 12 Stereo Zone amplifier the price would be £3075.

13. castor

castor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks to both of you for the advice - much appreciated, just waiting for the planning permission to come through and we can then start to think about purchasing. One thing is clear- what we wish to achieve can be done more or less within our budget.

14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hows the planning permission going ?