Audio Setup

ajacklin

Standard Member
Hi, I’ve recently purchased a Bush LED TV (DLED50UHDHDRS). I have a very basic, old, sound bar - LG NB3530A and Sky Q.
There’s a couple of options on the new TV sound menu: Dolby Audio or DTS TruSurround. If I connect the sound bar via optical cable it only works with S/PDIF output so the Dolby and DTS options are greyed out.
The other outputs are HDMI or TV.
So my question is, would I be better of ditching the sound bar and using one of the other sound options and the TV’s own speakers to make use of the Dolby or DTS or leave as is? I can’t afford a newer model of sound bar at this stage.
Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance for any feedback.

ajacklin

Standard Member
Is that still going to give the best sound then even thought the sound bar is quite old? As I wouldn’t then use any of the sound options on the TV?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Simple answer, use your ears! Which one sounds best to you?

I doubt very much the speakers in a budget TV will be as good as even a budget sound bar. The format of the audio is not going to make a lot of difference if the speakers are not up to it.

Put on a movie or some music you know well and decide yourself which sounds best. This might include things like clarity, dynamic range, frequency response, surround sound effects etc. At the end of the day it's you who will be listening to the system, so other people's opinions matter very little!!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Without wishing to insult the OP.

Not particularly. Bush is purely a brand name owned by Argos and has TVs manufactured in Turkey for them by a company called Vestel who makes budget electronics usually sold in supermarkets and the low-end models of manufacturers TVs such as bottom range Panasonics.

If you're looking for a cheap TV then possibly have a look at a Hisense.

Do you have any 4K sources?
Do you want good HDR?
Do you watch a lot of SD quality content?
Do you need to watch the TV from a sharpish angle?

Buying a TV now is a lot harder than it used to be. I'd have a look at our Forum mod Dodgexanders guide to give you advice on what you want vs what you need.

If you have questions regarding this though, I'd make my own thread rather than continuing in this one as it would be off-topic and hijacking someone else thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom