Audio setup for computer

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Moka, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Moka

Moka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firsts thing's first, I know almost nothing about audio systems so forgive me if I end up embarrassing myself in any way (also, sorry if this is the wrong section).

Looking to set up an audio setup for my computer that is used for everything (games, tv, films, music, etc). I currently have an asus xonar d2 soundcard in the computer, some old logitech x540 5.1 speakers and a pair of mdr-v6 headphones. Looking to probably replace the speakers with a reasonable 2.0 or 2.1 speaker setup (where the desk is doesn't allow for decent 5.1 positioning). Budget is ideally between £150-£200 but can stretch to about £250 if it will make a big difference.

Looking around something such as the diamond 9.1 speakers look like a fairly good choice but I honestly have very little idea. Also, other than speakers what else would I need for getting the setup working (enormous noob, sorry :blush:)?

Probably missed out some important detail but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks.

Edit: Had a look around a few places, would an amp like the pioneer a20 go with a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1s well and would it all connect up fine to the soundcard (think it should as it has coaxial output but not sure), or is there something that would work better for the price?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, you will need either amp plus speakers or active speakers (speakers with the amp built in). These for example Pair 140W 5" Inch M-Audio BX5 D2 Active Monitors Studio Reference Speakers DJ | eBay. No experience of them just pointing out they exist.

You could try buying used to get a bit more for your money.

If you use the optical out make sure the amp has a digital input, or use the headphone out to connect to the analogue inputs of any stereo amp (or active speakers). You'd likely need a jack to phono adapter lead too.