Audio settings per input on a Yamaha receiver?

damaged goods

Standard Member
Greetings! I purchased a used Yamaha RX-A860 a few days back, and coming from a Denon AVR, I find the Yamaha user interface quite confusing and non-intuitive. I'm struggling a bit with the setup process and I'm not sure if it's due to limitations of the receiver's configurability or limitations in my understanding on how to achieve what I want. :)

In any case, here's what I would like to know:

On Denon receivers it is possible to configure audio settings for individual inputs, which feels like a very basic capability of an AVR, but it seems like it is not possible on Yamaha receivers (or at least not the RX-A860). I would like to use different settings for YPAO, PEQ, tone controls, etc per input. As an example I'd like to use full auto YPAO when watching movies from my connected media player, but when streaming music I just want to roll off the treble slightly using the tone controls. But when changing these options, the dialogue says "Input: all". And changing these settings back and forth every time I switch input source would not be an acceptable solution.

Next up is the YPAO auto calibration process. It sets my front speakers to "large" and crossover to 60Hz. But it should be "small" and 100Hz. I can change it, but then the calibration is incorrect since any EQ corrections between 60 and 100Hz are made on the fronts, when it should be done on the subwoofer. Is there a way to lock the crossover levels before performing the YPAO calibration? My impression is that it resets to large/60Hz every time I recalibrate.

Any input on these matters would be highly appreciated.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The speaker levels, distance, room EQ (PEQ) and the bass management are all universal and remain the same regardless of the source. What upmixing or DSP mode you set for each is however specific to each source and that source will retain whatever mode you set it to until you change it to something different.

You cannot have different speaker leve, distances and PEQ for each individual source.

Higher tier Yamaha models do have an option to save 2 different speaker patterns in the AV receiver's memory though and each can have different speaker levels, distances and PEQ settings. Your model lacks this feature.

While you cannot assign different PEQ settings to eacj source or set different TONE settings, you can assign these to different SCENES and have different PEQ and or TONE configurations saved to each of the SCENES. You'd save the settings you'd prefer to a SCENE and then invoke that SCENE when required. The SCENE can also set the source and manu other settings specific to that SCENE.

As is the case with all AV receivers that incorporate some form of auto calibration, you should address the bass management manually post eunning the calibration. You'd be advised to set all speakers as being SMALL with crossovers no lower than 80Hz regardless of the physical size of the speakers, their rated capabilities or where the AV receiver measured their roll off to be. No, the calibration would not be incorrect or effected by this and you can freely alter the bass management configurations post calibration without it having any adverse effect upon the room EQ correction. THe bass management has nothing at all to do with the PEQ and room EQ correction.

Last edited:

damaged goods

Standard Member
While you cannot assign different PEQ settings to eacj source or set different TONE settings, you can assign these to different SCENES and have different PEQ and or TONE configurations saved to each of the SCENES. You'd save the settings you'd prefer to a SCENE and then invoke that SCENE when required. The SCENE can also set the source and manu other settings specific to that SCENE.
Hi dante1, thanks for replying.
The "Scene" function seems to be very limited on the RX-A860 model. I quote from the manual:

"The SCENE function allows you to select the assigned input source, sound program, Compressed Music Enhancer on/off, and HDMI output jack (RX-A860 only) with just one touch."

I.e. only some DSP settings that are of no interest to me. No PEQ and no tone controls.

As is the case with all AV receivers that incorporate some form of auto calibration, you should address the bass management manually post eunning the calibration. You'd be advised to set all speakers as being SMALL with crossovers no lower than 80Hz regardless of the physical size of the speakers, their rated capabilities or where the AV receiver measured their roll off to be. No, the calibration would not be incorrect or effected by this and you can freely alter the bass management configurations post calibration without it having any adverse effect upon the room EQ correction. THe bass management has nothing at all to do with the PEQ and room EQ correction.
But I noticed YPAO did bass correction in the <100Hz area (peaks at 40 and 60 Hz) for the front speakers. There's a limited number of bands in the EQ (I think 7?) for each speaker, so instead of wasting it on lower bass corrections that the speaker won't even play, it could have been used to correct some other peaks or dips higher up in the frequency spectrum.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If you've fewer options in the SCENE settings than I have on my higher tier models then I apologies for suggesting that the SCENE function may have offered you a solution. Other than this option, there's nothing you can do to assign different TONE and or PEQ settings to each source.

The speakers size and croossover configurations have nothing at all to do with the room EQ correction. The AV receiver corrects the EQ regardless of what size you set the speakers and or the crossover you apply to them. The EQ correction is the same regardless of the bass management settings in the speaker configurations. This is true of all AV receivers and not just Yamaha models. All you are doing is determining at which point to redirect the frequencies away from speakers designated SMALL. You are doing nothing that would have any effect upon the PEQ curves.

The PEQ is applied to the same frequency range and bands irrespective of the speaker sizes or the crossover points you use.

Last edited:

damaged goods

Standard Member
If you've fewer options in the SCENE settings than I have on my higher tier models then I apologies for suggesting that the SCENE finction mau have offered you a solution. Other than this option, there's nothing you can do to assign different TONE and or PEQ settings to each source.

The speakers size and croossover configurations have nothing at all to do with the room EQ correction. THe AV receiver corrects the respknse regardless of what size you set the speakers and or the crpssover you apply to them. The EQ correction is the same regardless of the bass management settings in the speaker configurations. THis is true of all AV receivers and not just Yamaha models. All you are doing is determining at which point to redorect the frequencies away from speakers designated SMALL. You are doing nothing that would have any effect upon the PEQ curves.
Alright, thank you for the answers. I will be selling my Yamaha AVR and buying a Denon instead (or possibly a higher end Yamaha) since not having the possibility to configure tone controls per input is a showstopper for me. I just wish I would have looked this up before I did my purchase. I guess I assumed it would work since my entry level Denon from 2012 has this capability. :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom