Audio settings for 5.2.1 set up

Tuz

Evening,

I have a 5.2.1 set up with front height speakers on top of floorstanders at the front (Monitor Audio bronze AMS) so was wondering the best set up.

- Should I select 5.1 or 7.1 audio set up - looking at the 7.1 diagram this does not reflect my set up as no front height channels
- PCM/Dolby/DTS format priority?

I only use the PS5 for gaming

Cheers!

blofse

The ps5 doesn't natively support Atmos but it supports passthrough for blurays that have it. I run mine as 7.1 for my 5.0.2 system and let the amp sort out the positing and the use of the Atmos overheads

dante01

Distinguished Member
The console has no integral support for Atmos in games or for the streaming service apps you can host onboard it, but it can be configured to BITSTREAM Atmos or DTS:X in assciation with Blu-ray or UHD film discs.

You have to specifically configure it to do this though using the OPTIONS cofigurations specific to Blu-ray or UHD film discs:

If you've film discs inclusive of Atmos or DTS:X then the PS5 can BITSTREAM the associated audio to another device to decode, as long as that device has the ability to do so.

Last edited:

Tuz

I have separate UHD blu ray player for films so it's just gaming audio I'm after.
Currently I have this set as 5.1 dolby bitstream

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have separate UHD blu ray player for films so it's just gaming audio I'm after.
Currently I have this set as 5.1 dolby bitstream
If configuring the PS5 to output audio for games and if you are using an AV receiver to handle this audio then I'd suggest you set the console's main audio output to 7.1 LPCM. There's not actually a true bitstream option for games and there's no benefit associayed with using the Dolby or the DTS bitstreaming options listed in this setting.

If passing the audio through a TV and then out to an AVR then you'd ideally need eARC to be able to convey multichannel PCM to said AV receiver. Even if your setup is just a 5.1.2 setup, the AV receiver will automatically mix down the back surround channels associated with the 7.1 LPCM signal into the surround channels your AV receiver is setup to portray.

Note that the main audio output configuration onboard the PS5 doesn't effect the seperate option you can set for Blu-ray or UHD film discs. The settings you have for games can be totally different to those you have for films.

The PS5 has no ability to output either Atmos or DTS:X relative to games and none of the games made for the PS5 or PS4 have such audio.

If you've height or upward firing speakers within your setup then the only way you'd be able to engage them while using the PS5 to play games is by using upmixing onboard the AV receiver. You'd need to use modes such as Dolby Surround or DTS's Neural:X to create pseudo object based 3D audio.

The PS5 can access and bitstream Atmos and DTS:X if sourced via a Blu-ray or UHD film disc, but has no ability to do so via games or the streaming service apps it can host.

Last edited:

Tuz

Many thanks @dante01 thats very helpful, will set up 7.1 LPCM as going staight into my aventage so will let that do the work.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom