Audio Set up on new System - have I missed anything

Sluggster

Hi,

I have upgraded parts of my system and just want to check I have the AV side covered. Any advice on what I have done would be appreciated.

My XE1 has v5 software.

I run the XE1 to my AV Amp via HDMI and from there to my screen.
I run my front L & R pre out from my AV Amp going to the Naim and have the AV bias function set (this means that the volume control on the Yamaha has control of the volume for the front speakers - this is cool).

I ran the auto setup function on my amp.

I have a REL 505 with the LFE low function connection and also, running from the front speaker posts of the Yamaha, I have the high cable connected. This sounded good when my main speakers went through my AV Amp.

I have then manually adjusted my cross over to 80 and changed the front speakers to large (my Naim belts out the bass, compared to my Yamaha).

Will the AV amp have kept the remainder of the automatic settings or do I now have to set distances manually?

Will I have to set any delays manually?

Have I missed anything?

There is mention of this -10 db issue with subs LFE from the XE1. Can I adjust that 10db out using the volume control on the sub, instead of adjusting the AV amp?

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can connect the REL505 to the speaker outs of the Naim - they are just holes you plug in to, not posts and I'd rather not solder them (I found that having the REL connected by the high cable actually improved the fullness of the sound when I used my CD via the Yamaha).

Thanks for your input.

TrevorS

Hi,

I have upgraded parts of my system and just want to check I have the AV side covered. Any advice on what I have done would be appreciated.

My XE1 has v5 software.

I run the XE1 to my AV Amp via HDMI and from there to my screen.
I run my front L & R pre out from my AV Amp going to the Naim and have the AV bias function set (this means that the volume control on the Yamaha has control of the volume for the front speakers - this is cool).

I ran the auto setup function on my amp.

I have a REL 505 with the LFE low function connection and also, running from the front speaker posts of the Yamaha, I have the high cable connected. This sounded good when my main speakers went through my AV Amp.

I have then manually adjusted my cross over to 80 and changed the front speakers to large (my Naim belts out the bass, compared to my Yamaha).

Will the AV amp have kept the remainder of the automatic settings or do I now have to set distances manually?

Will I have to set any delays manually?

Have I missed anything?

There is mention of this -10 db issue with subs LFE from the XE1. Can I adjust that 10db out using the volume control on the sub, instead of adjusting the AV amp?

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can connect the REL505 to the speaker outs of the Naim - they are just holes you plug in to, not posts and I'd rather not solder them (I found that having the REL connected by the high cable actually improved the fullness of the sound when I used my CD via the Yamaha).

Thanks for your input.

My advice is to read the manuals and then start experimenting.

Only use the player BM if the processor/receiver can't do it for you. If that's the case, you'll have to provide LFE compensation at the processor/receiver. Yes, boost at the sub itself can be used in conjuction with boost at the receiver -- just be aware of the needs of different signal inputs -- this will affect calibration.

I'm presuming by "holes" you are referring to banana plug connections. Get some banana adapters and you should be OK. If you want to go custom -- the equipment belongs to you -- feel free to experiment.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom