Audio set up madness

It's not really clear what you're asking here.
Could you give some more details?

Hi Roohster,my problem is this, I'm currently using my old faithful NAD 2400 power amp that I'm using to drive a pair of Jamo 707 speakers which are rated at 200watts/4ohms and the NAD is rated at 100watts into 8ohms.I need to increase the power output on the NAD because the amp keeps on switching off at high volumes.I do believe that there is a way of doing this I'm just not too clued up on how.Some advice will really help me overcome this mountain

It sounds like a bit of a mismatch between your amp and speakers, you'll probably have to consider changing either to get more output.

Pretty sure there's no way to get more out of the amp.

Are you certain there's not a problem with the amp? It shouldn't switch itself off.

This amp will deliver about 160W into 4 Ohms, which should be loud enough for most rooms. My Sony AVR has a similar output and I can't bear it at high level for long, as it's just too loud!

Check for cooling of the amp. Check also you don't have any stray wires bridging the terminals.

If you have ruled out any problems, you will be looking at a more powerful amp. You would need to look at something stable into 4 ohms and about 250 - 300W, to give you good clean power. This: A500 | Studio Monitor Amplifiers | Power Amplifiers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group will give you the power you seek, but not sure it will have the finesse that the Nad has. You will be looking at serious money for a high power "hifi" amp.

Noiseboy72 you mentioned that the amp will deliver 160watts into 4ohms, are u in reference to the NAD 2400? If so how do i achieve that?

Simple one first. A "perfect" amplifier will deliver twice the power into half the load impedance. So 100W at 8 ohms = 200W at 4 ohms.

Problem is that "perfect" amps are few and far between, so 160W is a safe bet into 4 ohms for a 100W into 8 ohms amplifier. They do not publish this spec, but I did find it on another thread for the amp. Make sure you set the amp to 8 ohms, not 4 ohms, even with your 4 ohm speakers. Why? This is an American legislation thing that reduce the voltage rail on the 4 ohms setting, so the amplifier will be louder in the 8 ohm setting. It is less likely to cut out as well.

Turn on the soft clipping, as this will prevent damage to the speakers and output devices in peak conditions.

In terms of the phase reverse, this is trickier than it is on a pro amp, as you cannot just flip the phase on the input and swap the output wiring. You will need some electronics to insert a phase reverse and I doubt you will find a box off the shelf, even though it is very basic electronics. Just a pair of op-amps designed with unity gain, with one wired "hot" and the other "cold". About a dozen components, a simple power supply and a box to put it in.

The down side is that a 15% increase in power - if achievable, would be barely audible in terms of usable volume. Worth saying that in 20+ years of pro-audio engineering, I've never done this, nor seen anyone else do it either, so probably no real savings. You might even find some m-fers do this in any case and just don't tell you!

Noiseboy72 thank u so much for the advice will try that today, , really appreciate it

What where you using with the Jamo speakers before you installed the Power Amp?

How 'loud' is loud when the Amp is going into protection mode?

Joe

Hey Joe, I was using another pair of Jamo speakers, the classic 6's-didn't have the power amp then. Speakers sounded ok I guess but felt they were lacking in the lower end part. Decided to buy or rather was given a pair of 707 by an old friend of mine and never really heard them propetly before. The volume level when amp switches off is a little louder than comfortable conversation levels. One has to raise ones voice a little to get a word heard.

Is it a good idea to leave my power amp switched on all the time. Its just that when I finally sit in my favourite spot and get comfortable I realise that the amp is still off and it's about 5meters from me. I'm a big guy and getting up all the time is really annoying and time consuming. The amp has only a power button and 2 knobs-no remote. Any suggestions on the matter. Is it safe?

Pre-processor - you don't say what you are using or how you have it hooked up to the Power Amp.

'Always On' - I doubt any Fire Officer/Insurance Agent is ever going to tell you to keep any electrical item always on (neither is your Eco officer :)).

Conversely I find 'always on' kit tends to be more reliable - how many times have you heard 'it blew when I switched it On'!

You could automate the Power On/Off with a power socket you can control via IR or an App.

Joe

Joe understood, eco friendly and possibility of fire, yes all good, Let's say for argument sake I've eliminated all those hazards considered all the risks. Have even maybe fire equipment in place. Risk assessments all done. Can i leave the amp on? Does that have a negative impact on the long term performance of the amp? . Is it safe to always leave it on. I know its a pretty silly question. Please condider that we working with limited resources, 3rd world country limitations. To respond to your first statement I have the power amp hooked up to my Yamaha RX-V767 via a set of RCA's making it my pre and the power amp is driving a set of Jamo 707 speakers. The balance of the speakers are driven by the Yamaha (Centre, sub and rears)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom