Audio routing issues...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by edam, Feb 11, 2009.

1. edam

edam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing some advice on how to set up my first HT? :thumbsup:

Basically, given the "fixed" parts of the set up, I've got two choices:

a) I embed 8ch audio (from separate analogue channels) in to an HDMI connection and send it, along with video, through an AV amp, or

b) I find a really fancy amp that can take 8ch analogue audio and knows to use it when it's switched to a particular HDMI video source.

Now, my knowledge is limited on this (which is why I'm asking you guys!) but I think the chances of b) working out are fairly slim. Hell, you can't even use trabble/bass controls with 8ch analogue input on most of the amps I've looked at!

So what I want to know is this: Does such an amp exist? And if not, are there any sensibly priced devices that will embed 8ch audio in HDMI?

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    What source have you got that has 8 channel analog output but doesn't also send it via HDMI?

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    YEs, that was my first thought to - exactly what do you mean by '8ch analog auido'?

Steve/bluewizard

4. edam

edam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys!

By '8ch analog auido' I mean 7.1 surround sound in 8 independent analogue channels.

The HDMI + 8ch audio is coming form my computer. I'd love to use spdiff or optical but my computer is not capable of encoding 7.1 in to a DD or DTS signal for use on these ports. This means that any games that do surround sound will only work with the 8ch audio outpus. :(

I know you can get moterboards that have something called "DTS connect" (or something) that would enable me to use spdiff or optical output for everything, but sadly mine doesn't have this.

What do other people do who want to play surround sound games?

5. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    I understood that you meant 7.1 when talking about 8 channel analog audio, i was just confused about the source, never considered a PC. Not really up to speed on PC audio, but can't you get a video card with HDMI, that will also output the 7.1 audio on HDMI?

A few receivers do have 8 channel analog inputs, but not sure about assigning them to HDMI inputs, but why don't you just send the video direct to your display and audio only to an amp with multichannel input.

6. edam

edam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > can't you get a video card with HDMI, that will also output the 7.1 audio on HDMI?

Yeah, I think some of the ATI cards will let you send an audio signal out of their HDMI sockets. I only just bought a new nVidia GeForce a few months ago though! Doh!

> can't you get a video card with HDMI, that will also output the 7.1 audio on HDMI?

Ah, yeah I could. Except that I also want add a Wii to the mix! That has composite video out (or I think you can get an HDMI converter for it, maybe?). So I need something to switch (hopefully automatically) between at least two audio/video sources. Recomendations would be warmly appreciated! :)

The more I've looked in to how to set this tuff up though, the more I feel that I'm trying to go about it in a way that most people wouldn't do. The equipement doesn't seem fundementally set up to expect 7.1 from 8 analogue inputs. Am I going about this all wrong? Do most other devices include audio in HDMI? If so, should I be trying to find a piece of kit that will embed the audio in the HDMI signal?

7. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Yeah DVD, bluray, cable, satelite (although SkyHD is stereo only over HDMI), games consoles with HDMI output send the audio over HDMI as well.

The Wii will be quite easy, if you get a AV receiver with component inputs and stereo analog inputs (most, if not all AV receivers have these). If you want it to output on HDMI from the amp then you need a receiver with upconversion (analog video input converted to HDMI video output).

Maybe you should state all your kit and what you hope to achieve with a reciever (and a budget) and then we can start to reccommend solutions for you.

8. edam

edam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting...

Well, I'll tell you my current kit, but it's fairly peripheral at the moment! :) It basically consists of:
    - a Wii
    - a PC
    - a stereo amp (which I love and eventually want to use for 7.1 front left/right)
    - I'll definitely get a projector as well (haven't decided on which yet - maybe a Panasonic PT-AX200E) with an HDMI input.

I've been thinking of getting a Yamaha DSP-AX763 as an AV receiver. For the following reasons:
    - It handles audio from HDMI (from my PC)
    - It will send composite, component and s-video inputs to the HDMI output (great for the Wii!)
    - It provides pre-amp outputs (to send front left/right to my existing amp)
    I couldn't find anything cheaper that does the same. Do you know of anything?