Audio Return Channel

barrywi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an Arcam AVR 850 and after having trouble with picture stability feeding via HDMI my new Sony PS5 through the amp to the TV , I have now fed it directly to the TV on input 2. LG OLED C1 ( 2021)
The question is how do I get the audio back to my Arcam using the ARC system? I have never had the need to use it before as everything else is fed via HDMI through the Amplifier.
Do I need to alter settings in the Amp and/ or the TV to make it work ?
Where would the audio appear on the amplifier?
Any help gratefully accepted.

Enable arc on both receiver and the tv. And ensure hdmi from receiver to tv is in the arc/earc port

HDMI CEC control and ARC set to ON on both TV and AVR...

Then power both to standby. Switch both off on wall, wait a couple of minutes, then and back on is often advised by the makers.

If all else fails :rtfm:

AVRs usually label ARC as "TV" input and the TV remote volume control should control the amp volume using that method.

Note that you'd be restricted to SD formatted Dolby Digital or just 2 channels of PCM audio if using ARC. You'd ideally want eARC in order to be able to pass multichannel PCM through your TV and out to the AV receiver, but your AV receiver predates eARC and is only equipped with the lesser ARC. Also note that your TV is unable to handle or passthrough any form of DTS formatted audio if using ARC or eARC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom