Audio Return Channel with Pioneer VSX-921 and Panasonic TX-p42GT30

ahxcjb

Novice Member
Hi -

Am hoping someone can help me. I have been attempting to get ARC working for many evenings now, all without success.

I have enabled HDMI control within my Pioneer amp, but can see no option to configure ARC within my Panasonic TX-P42GT30. Should there be a setting? The manual makes no reference to configuring an output channel specifically for ARC.

My HDMI cable is plugged into HDMI port 2 (ARC), yet when I watch Freeview and cycle through the different amp inputs (TV, Video1, blu-ray etc) no sound from the TV is received.

What am I doing wrong, please?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I'm not familiar with your TV but is Viera Link turned on in the TV's setup menu? I would imagine that the TV input is automatically configured for HDMI by default.

ahxcjb

Novice Member
Just to update, enabled Viera Link and suddenly audio started coming out perfectly via ARC! Thanks!

Mighty Morris

Standard Member
I too have a Panasonic Viera TV, with Viera Link enabled - this gives me the option of chanelling sound through my Home Cinema or the TV itself; and the option to control my Blu-Ray Player, which works a treat.

However, despite similarly connecting my Pioneer VSX-921 to my HDMI 2 (ARC) port, I get no sound through the Home Cinema option. The cable supports HDMI 1.4a. Is there an amp setting I need to activate?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I too have a Panasonic Viera TV, with Viera Link enabled - this gives me the option of chanelling sound through my Home Cinema or the TV itself; and the option to control my Blu-Ray Player, which works a treat.

However, despite similarly connecting my Pioneer VSX-921 to my HDMI 2 (ARC) port, I get no sound through the Home Cinema option. The cable supports HDMI 1.4a. Is there an amp setting I need to activate?
You need to enable HDMI control in the Pioneer. Also check that your cable is explicitly marked "high speed" or "category 2", or replace it with one that has such a marking.

BTW, there is no such thing as a cable "supporting HDMI 1.4a", every HDMI cable supports every HDMI version without exception and licensed cable manufacturers are banned from making such nonsensical "supports" statements. All that's important is standard speed vs high speed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom