1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio recording setting - 12bit or 16bit?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Biccy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have recently bought the Sony DCR-PC350 & still playing about with all the options. One of the settings I can choose is the audio recording & have the option of 12bit or 16bit. As a total novice im guessing that the 16bit is better but i dont really have a clue if im right!? or is each setting suited to different environments? Any advice on this will be much appreciated, thanks.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    16 bit will give the best quality. The main reason to use 12 bit is that it allows 4 audio channels. You only get 2 channels with 16 bit.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always use the 16bit - the 12 bit is for use if you want to audio dub in camera - but can give problems with some editing programmes. Much better to use 16 bit and add additional sounds in an editing programme on your PC.

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, unless you are going to record some live concerts, i doubt that you will notice any diference between 12 bit and 16 bit sound. And even if you will, i doubt that you see (ear) really any diference.

As posted, 12 bit is nice if you intend to dub aditional audio (to 2 aditional channesl) to your recordings. I've done that some times in the past, and it works ok.

Nowadays I always use 16 bit sound recording. I didn't do it because 12 bit was not good. Honestly i did it because in theory it would be better. In practice .... who knows ?

BTW, what do you think of the PC 350 ? Are you happy with it?

Note: I have the PC 330 as you know.

Best regards

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    16 bit here as well. :)

6. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, will use the 16bit setting then from now on. The manual doesn't mention which setting is best but now i know, cheers.

Benfica - I think this camcorder is great. As you know I had the Canon mv750i before which when i bought it i thought it was gunna be good...it wasnt! The PC350 suffers no motor noise at all & the difference in PQ is massive, ecspecially in low light. I'd read the LCD touch screen wasnt that good but i found it easy to use from the start.

7. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you are happy.

Since you are (for sure) a more experienced user then I am, please feel free to post any tips / advices that you find interesting to share.

Best regards

8. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubt im more experienced than many people, still adobting the point-and-shoot method at moment! But will hopefully pick things up as i go along & will share what i learn with this camcorder. One thing so far is to use the zoom in & out buttons that are situated on the plastic frame of the LCD screen (not sure if you have these on the PC330) as it zooms in & out at the same, slow speed, so it makes shot look better than when you use the zoom buttons on barrel,
    this can be a bit erratic.