Audio recording for video

MalcBanjo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was considering buying an external mic for my Sd900 camcorder, but I read some info on taking audio separatley and then syncing it in premier. I have a Zoom H4n audio recorder and also a couple of beringer condenser mics, is this the sort of setup that would work?
Also where would the best placement of mics be in regards to say recording a small bluegrass band playing onstage in a club or community centre?
Any info or thoughts would be most appreciated
kind regards, Malc.

You should be able to get some pretty good results with that.

I would suggest setting up the Behringer mics connected to the Zoom pretty close to the band, to minimise any background noise, and to keep any 'boominess' form the room reverberation as low as possible.

You will still be recording the audio from your camcorder mics as well, which you can use for 2 purposes.....

1) to use as a 'sync' reference point for your Zoom audio, when editing.

2) you might like to consider mixing some of this audio into the final mix, to add a bit of 'ambience' - - if that seems appropriate. You will of course retain control over the balance that way.

Finally, it will probably make life a lot easier if you sync and mix your soundtrack before you edit any video. Easier to sync, and easier to edit later.

There, rogs has said it good advice. Clapping your hands in front of the camera will give a good sync "reference" - as rogs suggests you can use the on-camera audio to add ambience - for example if you can get some end-of-song shots of the appreciative audience. This may need to be "statged" and your contact with the Band can help, for example by playing the final few bars, so you can sticth this to the complete footage.

However, watch the overload of mics issue - I've suffered overloaded electrets - and the answer appears to be moving-coil mics which have a greater headroom (and we are talking LOUD, here).

Can you post your final Edits, perhaps? - - along with your notes, so we can learn.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom