1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio quality of AV amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TheSeer, Jan 1, 2002.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello and a happy new year to you all.

As a newbie to this forum I have a basic question:

If I was to buy a good AV amplifier (eg Denon AVC-A1SE), then will this provide stereo only sound quality on a par with a £1500 - £2000 stereo only amplifier (eg something from Musical Fidelity / Myrad etc)?

The eventual aim is to have a top notch Home Cinema system that also doubles up as a no compromise multi-channel hi-fi system.:cool:

Many Thanks

TS

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No AV amp will be as good in stereo as a dedicated stereo amp at the same price point.

The simple reason is that the stereo amp only has to supply two channels of amplification whilst the AV amp has to supply five or six and includes video circuitry which is not only an additional cost but has an interference factor as well.

No doubt someone can supply you with a far more detailed technical explanation than I.

If your interest is primarily high quality music it might be an idea to look at a quality stereo amp plus a Dolby Digital Processor.

Ian

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why won't you try the NAd T761 Amp. It offer DTS, DD, Prologic and a dsp called EARs (No DTS-es and other fancy decoding). But , the few that it does, are decoded and served really good. In stereo it can be compared to the stereo amplifiers supplied by NAD, which all sound really good when compared to other brands. For a review, you can read this months Hifi Choice magazine, which has rewarwed the t761 a Best Buy!

4. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want that sort of quality for your music, then I think you will have to consider a pre-power solution (i.e. a separate surround processor and multi-channel amp). The 'problem' with this is quite simply, cost. There's not really much going on in the mid-price processor level, as this market slot is taken up with the combined units.

What you are trying to do is exactly what I've been trying to work out for a while now and I've spent 3½ big ones doing it. TAG processor and Primare A30.5 amp. I think you just have to do an ear test and see if you are happy with what the combines boxes do.....

Good luck.

5. Tweeter

Tweeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Denon A10SE; you can set it up to deal with all the surround speakers and use a high end stereo amp for the main speakers thus retaining high quality stereo reproduction.

6. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks to all for your replies.

The TAG processor & separate power amps seems to be the way to obtain the best compromise between home cinema and high quality audio only. But the TAG seems to lack the flexibility of some of the integrated AV amps (component video switching?). Or at least it will until TAG introduce upgrades.

There seems to be a LOT of change happening rapidly in the area of Home cinema and multi-channel audio. Only to be expected I suppose. I am very tempted to purchase a stop-gap solution (eg Denon AVR 3802 or AVC A11R), and wait for things to stabilise before spending mega-bucks on an ultimate solution.

A couple of questions:

*What is THX Ultra 2 ?

*When listening to Stereo only, do the surround speakers have an adverse effect on the main stereo pair? One of the pieces of advice from HiFi magazines is to never have any other pairs of speakers in the demo room when auditioning your preferred speakers.

TS

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
  8. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a few quick comments. How important is component video switching to you - will you ever need that? The TAG processor is good, but not so many people match it up with TAG amps (you can save a lot of money by looking at other amps, or get superior output for the same price). Lastly, I'm sure the Denon integrated just referred to does sound good, but these are very subjective thoughts and only your ears will confirm whether your experience of good is the same as theirs. I read some really good reviews of a certain product recently, but when I listened to them, I was very dissappointed - my point; only take other people's opinions so far, then trust your ears. Happy hunting.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Tag is the way to go. Much better than the Denons (which are the best of the receiver brigade). Go to the Tag web site and search for a post called something like My experiences buying....., it sums up my thoughts on all this and is still relevant but long.

Tag with a Rotel amp and Tosh DVD is a storming setup. It doesn't cost as much as you would think. Easily upgradable and is cooool.:D