Audio problems

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Louise, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Louise

Louise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I play back a cassette on my Sony 8mm Handycam, the sound goes off every few seconds. It doesn't record like that, because it can be ok the 1st time it's played back and it does it with footage that was recorded earlier when it was ok. Rather than getting it fixed, I bought another camcorder, being a Sharp 8mm Viewcam. When I play those cassettes back in the Sharp, the picture rolls where the sound is missing.

What could be the problem with the Sony, and if I did get it fixed, would the picture roll on that aswell?

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Have you tried a new tape in the new camera? Sounds like it could be a tape problem - perhaps the old camera screwed the tape.

3. Louise

Louise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have and it's fine. I haven't tried recording over a funny bit of tape with the new camcorder, though. And I've checked the tape in the cassette and it doesn't look screwed up.

Thanks for your help. :)

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    In VCR's, if the tape path goes wrong it'll crinkle the audio edge of the tape and ruin playback. It could also effect the tracking data on a tape, bottom edge. Audio on top. If I remember right. :rolleyes:

If the camcorder you recorded on has a wonky tape path, ie, if the tape isn't running true, odds and sodds will happen, ie, duff audio/tracking as the tape rides up and down the audio/conrol head. If the tape has some mild damage to it, when played back on another deck, it simply comes down to how 'tolerant' that deck is to the damage. So one deck it'll be fine, others it'll be poor.
    Panasonic videos for example, were renowned for their low tolerance of crappy tapes that played fine on 'cheaper' videos. Only cos they showed up the errors easily.

Hope it gives you an idea.
    If the camcorder is at fault, most likely, I'd guess it's just wear and tear that's the cause. However, it was always expensive to repair camcorders so hold your breath and get a workshop to look at the mech inside, and guesstimate an intial quote. If your camcorder is old, 5 years+, look at new alternatives. May be a better long term investment.

5. Louise

Louise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. :)

The camcorder is 8 years old, so I guess it's past it! It's done well to last this long, though.

If I did get it fixed, do you think it would play back the damaged tapes ok on it? Would they have any idea?

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Depends. If the camcorder is not fussy they may well be watchable/listenable. Pot luck. If your camcorder is 8 years old then wear and tear is No.1 supect in my book.
    Personally, I'd be inclined to head towards a new camcorder. A vcr should really only do about 5 years before troubles creep in. So if you've used it a lot then it has done well.
    Poss time to part with it. Not too much a camcorder doctor could do for a good price now. :D

7. Louise

Louise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! :)