Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by montys1, May 8, 2007.

1. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Not sure if i've got this right or not - maybe someone out there knows the score:-

My set up is PC (XP Media Centre) upstairs - Wireless adaptor

Downstairs - Cable Modem (10mbps) - Wireless router - 360 - Rio Karma - LG Plasma - V+ Box - Sony DAV810W Surround System

Everything seems to be fine however yesterday I put all the tracks from my Karma onto my PC converting them from Ogg Vorbis to WMA so that I could stream them to the 360 to see how it sounded. On the 360 I had the Digital sound set to 5.1 but the music would only come out of the front 2 speakers- even if i changed the sound field to Pro logic or PLII. However if i chose the DCS (Digital Cinema Sound) then all 5 speakers were playing but not sure if that is how it should be.

But - if I change the 360 Audio setting to Digital Stereo - ie not 5.1 then it works fine on Dolby Pro Logic and PLII - all 5 speakers:lease: - plus the Dolby Logo is lit - so is this how it should be set - Stereo for music and 5.1 for gaming?

I have Optical cables from my 360 and V+ box running to a splitter - then a third cable from there to my Surround Amp if that makes sense.

2. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +451
    I'm guessing the 360 transcodes stereo to DD2.0 when in DD 5.1 mode - 2 independent audio channels fed directly to the correct channel. When in Digital Stereo mode it probably outputs PCM stereo audio which would be affected by any post processing, like DPL.

I would leave it on DD5.1 and enjoy true stereo for music and 5.1 for gaming/movies.

3. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks Scumball - the thing is if I play my music direct from my Karma into the Surround amp that sounds awesome anyhow - the whole exercise really was to see how the streaming from the pc wirelessly would work and how it sounded thru the 360. Also I have a lot more space on the pc to store tracks as ive filled the karma!

4. jayr6666

jayr6666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I had the exact same problem and scumball is correct.I got round it by setting my amp to either 5channel stereo or 6channel stereo and it works fine but it still sounds better in 2channel.hope this helps

5. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks jayr - I've tried all the amp settings - standard, multi (which on everything else gives me all 5 speakers) prologic, pl2 movie, pl2 music, dcs a, dcs b, dcs c and still only 2 speakers - dcs ab&c work to a certain extent but the surround speakers are very faint.

If I play my karma thru the amp all the above work with 5 speakers and it sounds fantastic - might have to stick to that - or get used to 2 channel on the 360

Have you got your 360 set to 5.1 or stereo out of interest?

6. rEVILospud

rEVILospud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If you have your Xbox 360 set to 5.1 and play a stereo track it will only come out of the fronts (L&R). This is because the Xbox 360 is always outputting Dolby Digital 5.1, even in the dashboard. This also means that if you play music in game, the stereo music has to be mixed into the 5.1 sound from the game; you will get the normal 5.1 game sound through all speakers and the stereo music through the two fronts.

The different modes you are trying on your receiver are designed to take a stereo signal and expand it to your 5.1 speakers in different ways; the problem is that as far as your receiver is concerned, it is always receiving a 5.1 source from your Xbox 360 and that is why the modes will not work.

The DCS settings are designed for 5.1 sources, to replicate certain cinema characteristics defined by Sony and therefore will not make the sound you are looking for.

Only thing I can think of doing is as well as plugging your Xbox 360 by optical for 5.1, you could also connect the stereo phonos to a different input on your receiver for when you want to listen to music. I'm not really sure if the Xbox 360 does anything to the stereo signal in this way (i.e. Pro-Logic etc.) but this would allow you to use the surround modes you are used to on the Karma, I would think.

7. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi Revilo - sounds like an avenue worth exploring. I'll check it out when I get in later. Off the top of my head I know my amp has rca cables going to it from my rio karma but i'll see if there is another option.

One of these days I'll stop fiddling!