1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audio problem with TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2003.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    I've had problems when using TMPGEnc to encode MPEG-2 for SVCDs. I have created about 6 different MPEG-2s in the last 3 months and each time the audio is out of sync with the video (approx 0.5 secs behind). Has anyone else had this problem and got a solution?

I edit my videos using Pinnacle Studio 7 SE, create an AVI using Pinnacle and convert the AVI to MPEG-2 using TMPGEnc. I use the highest quality PQ settings in TMPGEnc and so a 20 min film takes approx 8 hours to encode. I then burn the SVCD using Nero. I do all of this on my Mother-in-law's PC as mine is not up to the job (she lives 3 hours away from me so I don't get many chances to experiment with this). She has an Athlon 2.4 Ghz, 40 GB HDD, 512MB memory. There is no problem with the audio sync when I play back the AVI on the PC. The audio sync is detectable when I play the MPEG-2 on the PC so I am sure that Nero is not at fault - it must be TMPGEnc. Is there something I am doing wrong??

Any ideas??:confused:

Cheers

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are you using DV camera or analogue ?

Dropped frames in capture may not show up as readily in your .avi file but may become more apparent when encoded & lead to sync problems.

Is it consisitantly the same length out of sync start to finish ?
    Have you tried playing back on several different computers to see if that makes a difference ?

There is a program PVAstrumento that can apparently cure sync problems in MPEG files. ( Never had to use it myself)

3. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    Thanks for your reply vonhosen

I'm using a Sony Digital8 DV cam

The sync is wrong by the same length at the start as it is at the end. Haven't tried it on several computers as Mother-in-law is only person I know who has a fast enough PC, firewire port and video editing software. The sound is out of sync when I play the SVCD on her PC and on my standalone Tosh 220 DVD via my TV.

Thanks, have downloaded this and will try it out when I next go up to see her in November. Really must save up for my own PC!!

Does anyone else know if I there is a setting in TMPGEnc that will correct for this lip syncing problem?

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I can't honestly see it's TMPGEnc that will be the problem, or a setting in TMPGEnc that can help cure your lip sync.

Here is a link to Rui's guide . This will give you a good idea of what the MPEG-2 settings in TMPGEnc are for. Just remember what the resolution and max bitrates etc are for SVCD as these examples are for DVD compliant files.