Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

audio problem with TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by electrolyte, Sep 26, 2003.

1. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    I've had problems when using TMPGEnc to encode MPEG-2 for SVCDs. I have created about 6 different MPEG-2s in the last 3 months and each time the audio is out of sync with the video (approx 0.5 secs behind). Has anyone else had this problem and got a solution?

I edit my videos using Pinnacle Studio 7 SE, create an AVI using Pinnacle and convert the AVI to MPEG-2 using TMPGEnc. I use the highest quality PQ settings in TMPGEnc and so a 20 min film takes approx 8 hours to encode. I then burn the SVCD using Nero. I do all of this on my Mother-in-law's PC as mine is not up to the job (she lives 3 hours away from me so I don't get many chances to experiment with this). She has an Athlon 2.4 Ghz, 40 GB HDD, 512MB memory. There is no problem with the audio sync when I play back the AVI on the PC. The audio sync is detectable when I play the MPEG-2 on the PC so I am sure that Nero is not at fault - it must be TMPGEnc. Is there something I am doing wrong??

Any ideas??:confused:

Cheers

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you using DV camera or analogue ?

Dropped frames in capture may not show up as readily in your .avi file but may become more apparent when encoded & lead to sync problems.

Is it consisitantly the same length out of sync start to finish ?
    Have you tried playing back on several different computers to see if that makes a difference ?

There is a program PVAstrumento that can apparently cure sync problems in MPEG files. ( Never had to use it myself)

3. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Thanks for your reply vonhosen

I'm using a Sony Digital8 DV cam

The sync is wrong by the same length at the start as it is at the end. Haven't tried it on several computers as Mother-in-law is only person I know who has a fast enough PC, firewire port and video editing software. The sound is out of sync when I play the SVCD on her PC and on my standalone Tosh 220 DVD via my TV.

Thanks, have downloaded this and will try it out when I next go up to see her in November. Really must save up for my own PC!!

Does anyone else know if I there is a setting in TMPGEnc that will correct for this lip syncing problem?

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I can't honestly see it's TMPGEnc that will be the problem, or a setting in TMPGEnc that can help cure your lip sync.

Here is a link to Rui's guide . This will give you a good idea of what the MPEG-2 settings in TMPGEnc are for. Just remember what the resolution and max bitrates etc are for SVCD as these examples are for DVD compliant files.