Audio problem. Help please!

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer VSX-AX5i AV amp. I have the following gear connected for audio input:

- Sony Blu Ray player by digital co-axial
- Phillips Blu Ray player by digital co-axial
- XBox360 by digital optical
- Samsung LCD TV by digital optical

Tonight I attached a new centre speaker and recalibrated the system using the Auto Surround Setup function.

Something bizarre then happened. Put in The Artist Blu Ray and hit Play Film (only one audio option - a DTS track) and got no sound. Got sound from the menus and bonus features but not from the movie. Put in another disc of Billy Joel Live at Shea Stadium and could get both PCM stereo and PCM surround tracks to play, but silence when choosing the Dolby Digital surround option.

So it seems I can only get PCM audio from my Sony player - the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks will not play. Checked the settings on the Sony (even though I hadn't touched them) and it is set to output both DD and DTS via the co-axial. Audio on all the other connected components is fine.

Help me guys! :confused:

It sounds like a problem with the Sony Blu-ray player rather than the receiver, considering that the other devices are giving you Dolby Digital/DTS audio without any problem.

Does it make any difference if you connect the player to a different coax input on the receiver or use another coax cable? Do you get the same problem when connecting it with an optical cable?

You haven't specified the model number of your player, but based on the settings I have available on my Sony players check you have the following options set in the audio set up:

Audio Output Priority: Coaxial/Optical
BD Audio Setting: Direct
Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital
DTS: DTS

Sony BDPS350.

And yes those settings on yours are the same on mine.

Was playing a disc immediately prior to re-calibrating my amp after adding the new centre speaker. All I can think of is i may have hit something on the gargantuan remote for the AV amp that has affected that particular input.

Just in from work. Will have a play around after dinner.

It's the Sony! :rolleyes:

Must have been just one of those coincidences that it died just after I'd attached the new centre speaker. Attached one of my Phillips BDP3000 players up using the same audio cable and amp input and it plays perfectly. Attached the Sony to my upstairs AV amp and once again no DD or DTS output. Looks like the output stage has died.

Not surprised as I'd had four years out of this, which in my experience is par for the course for Sony products before some sort of built in obsolescence kicks in, which is why I never normally touch their kit with a barge-pole.

Only reason I bought this was that it came with 5 free BDs plus a mail away for a free Spiderman Trilogy. It was also in Asda at a knock down price and they also had a VAT free weekend. Ended up playing around £85 which back then was worth it for the discs alone.

I remember when a friend commented on the unusual step of me buying Sony, I joked at the time that if I got only two or three years out of it I'd still be quids in. Four years - bonus! LOL

I have three Phillips BDP3000s which are far superior pieces of kit, so OK for BD viewing and the Sony can service a bedroom telly with no AV amp until the next component in it dies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom