Audio power of S97 good enough for a medium room?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alefsin, Mar 24, 2005.

1. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Panasonic S97 dvd player has got a Dolby/DTS decoder with 5.1 audio output connectors. Does anybody know the power of these audio channels? Is it right to assume that you can connect the outputs to 5.1 speaker set and have acceptable sound level for a medium sized room?
    I tried to find these specs on the Panasonic's site, but there I could not find anything regarding the outpout's power.

Best Regards
    AlefSin

2. roman-r

roman-r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Fairly sure you will need a 6 channel Amp to drive the speakers.

An old pro-logic one would work fine as long as it has 6 phono socket inputs but Dolby Digital Amps are so cheap these days I don't see where the value is to have internal decoding in the actual DVD player.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    The S97 only has a decoder so the outputs are at line level this would then need to be put into an amp of some description before connecting up to speakers

4. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, thanks a lot. Now I get it.

So basically, if I'm going to buy this new LCD display with HDMI input, it's only logical to get a DVD player with HDMI (or DVI) output. As DVD players with HDMI output can not drive the speakers, I just need to add a receiver to the list. But nobody in right mind would connect his DVD player to his receiver using analog connections, not in 2005! So I'll need to get a receiver with some nice digital inputs, preferably with HDMI inputs. Oh, by the way, it is a known fact that it's a total waste if you connect the output of a good amp to a set of cheapish speakers. So I'll need a brand new set of good quality speakrs too!

hmmmm, seems buying an LCD display is a much tougher job that I thought in the the first place :D

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    No, they would connect it using the Digital Audio output. Which the S97 has (like just about every other DVD player....), and every AV amp/receiver has inputs for :rolleyes:

6. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    try the panasonic saxr70 6.1 hdmi amp it gives great sound and goes nicely with the player you can get it from unbeatable for about £340 in deliv :thumbsup:

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Well if you want surround sound then yes, you will need to get a receiver & speakers. If however you are happy with just stereo sound then the HDMI connection (but not DVI) will carry the audio to the LCD screen and the LCD will have a built in amp to drive its own speakers.

Well not just for Dolby Digital or DTS movies, but if you have DVD-A or SACD discs then most receivers can only accept these formats via the analogue connections.

Mark.