Audio playing through both speaker and earpiece (Xperia X Compact)

theberg

Hello everyone!

I just got a new Xperia X Compact (was looking for a small and relatively cheap smartphone), and it's working like a charm.

The only puzzling problem I've encountered, and for which I cannot find any solution online, is that for some reason all audio is played through both the speakers (as it should be) and the earpiece. So, when I play a video on YouTube, or my ringtone plays, I hear it also through the earpiece, at a louder than normal volume, which causes it to come out distorted and very unpleasant to hear.

I've already tried going through the audio settings of the device, but I can't find anything useful in there. The only thing I can do to avoid this annoying problem is blocking the earpiece with my thumb while watching videos (but of course this is unsustainable).

Does anyone have any idea of what I could try to solve this (before sending it to maintenance)?

Thank you infinitely!

prking

Checking the reviews. The X compact didn’t do very well using its speakers (presumably due to the small size) Sony Xperia X Compact review: Time-saver edition

There are two front facing speakers, (a stereo pair) one at the bottom of the phone and one at the top which does double duty as the earpiece you hear the call through. Is this what is distorting?

theberg

Checking the reviews. The X compact didn’t do very well using its speakers (presumably due to the small size) Sony Xperia X Compact review: Time-saver edition

There are two front facing speakers, (a stereo pair) one at the bottom of the phone and one at the top which does double duty as the earpiece you hear the call through. Is this what is distorting?
Correct (EDIT: and thank you for answering!)

And it is curious because if I run the built-in diagnostic test of the speakers, I hear the sound being played through the ear speaker both when testing the ear speaker AND when testing only the loudspeaker.

It's like all audio signals being sent to the loudspeaker are also sent through the earpiece; which causes distortion because they are too loud for it.

Is there an easy fix to this that you know of?

theberg

Correct (EDIT: and thank you for answering!)

And it is curious because if I run the built-in diagnostic test of the speakers, I hear the sound being played through the ear speaker both when testing the ear speaker AND when testing only the loudspeaker.

It's like all audio signals being sent to the loudspeaker are also sent through the earpiece; which causes distortion because they are too loud for it.

Is there an easy fix to this that you know of?

EDIT 2: Re-reading what you wrote, I gather it's a hardware problem with the ear speaker, which shouldn't distort audio if that's what it's designed for, correct?

prking

Without hearing what’s happening, I can’t tell if there’s a fault.
Both are speakers and one does double duty as the earpiece (by playing at a lower volume when the proximity sensor detects the phone is near a head when on a call).
There’s always going to be a compromise with small speakers so it could be that it’s just the lower quality mentioned in reviews. Or, there could be an actual fault with that speaker.
The best thing to do is speak to Sony or a Sony service centre.

(Through an external amplifier / headphones the sound tested much better)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom