Question Audio Physic Scorpio 2 driver installation - DIY

Wudster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have just purchased a new driver for my AP Scorpio 2 speakers from Elite Audio.
Upon removing the old driver I noticed that the internal connecting wires were soldered to the wires on the speaker unit.
I would appreciate any advice on how or where or what expertise I require to install the new driver.
Many thanks
Wudster

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 276
I guess that when you say "the internal connecting wires were soldered to the wires on the speaker unit" yo are referring to the speaker tabs (terminals). If that is the case you have to watch the polarity so that the same wire goes to the same tab on a new speaker as it was on the old speaker. Usually, the wires are of a different color and the tabs are different in size (narrow and wide). Taking a photo of the original installation may be helpful. You would need a 40-60W soldering iron and some rosin core soldering wire (non acidic, electronic grade). You will need to desolder the wires from the tabs. I suggest that you treat the old speaker like it is fully functional while doing this phase (it may end up being so). It is very important that the speaker you are working on sits on a solid, stable surface, so both your hands are free. I suggest that you make a protective mask from a thin cardboard for the area under and around the speaker terminals. You do not want molten solder to fall off to the membrane and the cardboard mask should prevent that.
Do the same steps in reverse with a new speaker. It is very important that the tip of the soldering iron and all parts that are being soldered are clean at all times. Do not overheat the speaker tabs/terminals because you can desolder the voice coil wire at the other end of the terminal.
I would suggest that you watch some of the videos about soldering on You Tube and there could be even some specific to soldering speakers. If any part of what I described is not clear or you are not comfortable doing it yourself, it is better to seek help from a friend or a professional than to damage the speaker.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom