Audio over wifi

DrD787

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'll give it a go. I want to broadcast audio over wifi for use in a church. Basically I want to take the output from a Behringer X32 mixer and transmit it via wifi (or possibly bluetooth) to phones running a suitable app to receive it. I'm happy to spend a reasonable amount (say a few hundred pounds) on any necessary hardware.

Bluetooth is probably the easier solution but the distance you want to transmit is going to be a limiting factor and you've not said how far you intend to transmit, so can't really offer any immediate suggestions. Though that particular mixer doesn't have built-in wireless capability it does support USB, ADAT, MADI and Dante protocols so getting an adaptor for wireless capability should not be a problem. I've come across very few wireless headphones but Bluetooth headphones the norm so that shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe have a look to see what technology those "silent disco's" that were all the rage a few years ago were using.

There are a number of commercial solutions using WiFi, for example LimeOnAir is a UK based outfit with a free Android/iOS App (cost for the hardware and licences depends upon number of users, but can be as little as £500). Googling will find others. I've never used anything in this field, so can't recommend any particular solution.

What level of latency is acceptable? Trying to do One to Many over any network protocol can result in substantial audio delay, as you effectively need to "serve" the audio.

Something like this might work. Stream audio between your devices - AudioRelay it can stream to multiple devices, and just needs a wifi connected pc to operate.

Airfoil (mac only) can send audio over wifi to various receivers, bluetooth, airplay, DLNA etc all at the same time. Airfoil satellite are receiver apps that can be installed on android/ios phones.

If you have any old mac that can do the audio mixing that might be a cheap solution.

Bluetooth is probably the easier solution but the distance you want to transmit is going to be a limiting factor and you've not said how far you intend to transmit, so can't really offer any immediate suggestions. Though that particular mixer doesn't have built-in wireless capability it does support USB, ADAT, MADI and Dante protocols so getting an adaptor for wireless capability should not be a problem. I've come across very few wireless headphones but Bluetooth headphones the norm so that shouldn't be an issue.
I'm happy with a relatively short range, say 5-10metres as I could stipulate that people that want to use it could sit near the sound desk.

If this is for hearing aids, then many have bluetooth built in now, so a few BT transmitters would be a good starting point.

Audio Frequency Induction Loops are no longer considered to be a suitable system, as a lot of current hearing aids do not have the pickups fitted. We removed the one from our local church and just fitted a distributed speaker system, which helped to balance out the sound throughout the building and reduced indirect sound pickup - which is what reduces intelligibility. The result has been zero complaints about removing the loop and much better quality audio for everyone.

If this is for hearing aids, then many have bluetooth built in now, so a few BT transmitters would be a good starting point.
Not really. We have a system at the moment in church that leaves a bit to be desired, and there is a plan to upgrade it. I'm really thinking of people whose hearing is a bit sub standard but not enough to admit defeat and get hearing aids. Just the ability to listen via their phones would help a lot. What got me to thinking about it is that we Zoom the services and listening to the Zoom feed simultaneously with the live feed in the building, the Zoom is much clearer, but obviously has a small delay and is not usable in that respect.

Airfoil (mac only) can send audio over wifi to various receivers, bluetooth, airplay, DLNA etc all at the same time. Airfoil satellite are receiver apps that can be installed on android/ios phones.

If you have any old mac that can do the audio mixing that might be a cheap solution.
As it happens we run all our main tech over a Mac. I will definitely look into that, and I have a great respect for Rogue Amoeba as a developer. Thanks.

There must be something wrong with my Google, I searched for this and found very little, you lot are coming up with great ideas :)

This solution is really the best option you have since it allows the signal to be broadcast which is what you need, sound perfect, good post.

I have now tested Airfoil and unfortunately it inserts a 2 second delay into the audio stream. This makes it a non-starter for my use-case. The reason why I thought I might find an almost zero-latency solution is because I can nearly achieve it with Zoom - even going out to the internet and then via the Zoom servers and back again introduces only about 1/4 second or so.

There are a number of commercial solutions using WiFi, for example LimeOnAir is a UK based outfit with a free Android/iOS App (cost for the hardware and licences depends upon number of users, but can be as little as £500). Googling will find others. I've never used anything in this field, so can't recommend any particular solution.
Yes, that looks interesting, appears to solve my low latency requirement. However very difficult finding any pricing. I rang the company and the only person who could quote me was out but the person I spoke to thought about £700 for the box. A little bit pricey for my use-case in a church. Anyway I have emailed them for a proper quote.

Two seconds is a considerable delay by any standards, though I suspect any wireless solution will give a delay of some kind. It is difficult to determine what you would deem acceptable and trial and error isn't exactly a cost effective solution method.

there are quite a few products that offer solutions you could try audiofetch but I think Most solutions for this type of capability are going to be outside the budget you have.

Edit: Audiofetch home is made for solutions such as wireless for TV via plug in adaptor direct to the tv audio out, so I'm assuming it has a very low latency, but it's over £200 so... still worth a look

Something like this might work. Stream audio between your devices - AudioRelay it can stream to multiple devices, and just needs a wifi connected pc to operate.
That looks interesting, claims to be realtime. However it is PC to Android. However we use a Mac and most people have iPhones. Another non-starter I'm afraid. If they had an IOS client then I would consider sticking a PC into the mix.

Two seconds is a considerable delay by any standards, though I suspect any wireless solution will give a delay of some kind. It is difficult to determine what you would deem acceptable and trial and error isn't exactly a cost effective solution method.
As I have said above, using Zoom gets very close to the solution, the delay is only about 1/4 of a second and it just seems to me that given the extra paths the Zoom signal has to travel it shouldn't be difficult to improve on that with a purely local connection. In fact the Zoom result is close enough that I use it myself when operating the tech to get cues from the band for the next slide that needs projecting as it is clearer than the sound from the audio system itself.

there are quite a few products that offer solutions you could try audiofetch but I think Most solutions for this type of capability are going to be outside the budget you have.

Edit: Audiofetch home is made for solutions such as wireless for TV via plug in adaptor direct to the tv audio out, so I'm assuming it has a very low latency, but it's over £200 so... still worth a look
Audiofetch itself looks a bit too expensive, however Audiofetch Home looks like the biz - $229. Only 4 simultaneous clients but that will do me, and I could also make use of it at home if it's not suitable in church, my wife struggles to hear the TV. Only problem now is getting it from the States, I can't see a UK stockist.
[edit]
Just placed an order on the US website but just noticed as I was about to confirm they had added a $389 shipping charge !! Quickly cancelled it and back to the drawing board. Might find a 3rd party to order it via.

Last edited:
Yes, that looks interesting, appears to solve my low latency requirement. However very difficult finding any pricing. I rang the company and the only person who could quote me was out but the person I spoke to thought about £700 for the box. A little bit pricey for my use-case in a church. Anyway I have emailed them for a proper quote.
Yes, they're quite coy about pricing on their main website, but I did find this subsidiary site.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom