1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio over HDMI into HDTVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AOD, Aug 31, 2005.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So I'm sitting back watching the ongoing flat panel price war and thinking "hmm, buying something that's HD ready with a HDMI socket or two seems like a smart move", but then I started thinking about audio.

Now it has to be said that the driving force here is the better half, who'd like nothing more than to free up some serious room real estate by ditching the bulky CRT presently in situ and replacing it with something considerably more svelte. I of course am not completely adverse to the idea, especially with the advent of consoles supporting Hi-Def out of the box.

Her ideal set would be one with onboard Freeview (a reasonable request, as it removes yet another box from the room in question) and connecting a DVD player over HDMI seems pretty slick as well. Single cable to the screen (not including power), yes please.

However, if you're not using a full blown surround system, what audio can you expect the HDMI feed to the screen to provide??

I understand that HDMI is intended to be a one stop shop image/audio conduit complete with content/copy protection thrown in for good measure, but would a HD ready screen be able to decipher any of the audio signals transmitted over HDMI? Would you need to set your DVD player to transmit some sort of "downmixed" stereo feed instead for the screen to give you any sound, this is especially relevant now that some sets are appearing with "virtual" PL II onboard. Should you expect any sound or none at all?

2. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think most displays will only support non-compressed audio/PCM. Only the TV's with onboard DolbyDigital decoders can use 5.1 datatracks.

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
  4. Rimmer

Rimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify one of the points made above, do current upscaling DVD players with HDMI only output a 16/48 stereo downmix, and not 5.1 uncompressed PCM? Is it the case that some early HDMI DVD players using an older version of the HDMI spec don't output audio over HDMI at all?